Building projects on hold to handle budget cuts

Michaela Saunders

The ISU Task Force on Strategic Effectiveness and Budget Priorities has spent the past two weeks trying to find an answer to Gov. Tom Vilsack’s proposal to cut $18.6 million from the ISU budget.

Four decisions were reached by the task force that will allow Iowa State to answer this request.

“[The task force] decided to meet this requirement via a series of one-time actions that protect us this year from damage that would result from another across-the-board budget cut,” said ISU President Gregory Geoffroy in an e-mail to ISU faculty.

Government of the Student Body President Andy Tofilon, the only student on the task force, said the task force’s decisions make sense.

“These are common-sense decisions that the university has made,” he said. “This will not hurt students.”

On Sept. 20, Vilsack said he will ask the Iowa Legislature to cut $108.2 million from this year’s state budget.

Iowa State has been asked to hold $18.56 million in reserve until decisions are made by the Legislature.

“The exact amount [of the cut] won’t be established until after the Legislature has worked on this with the governor,” said Gregory Palermo, a member of the task force.

The task force is preparing for the worst, but members hope Iowa State will not have to give back the entire $18.56 million.

“It is wait and see in terms of the final amount but not in terms of planning,” said Palermo, professor of architecture.

The task force has decided on three actions, and a fourth still is under discussion, he said.

First, several building projects will be put on hold, including the North Campus Child Care Center, Pearson Hall remodeling, the Union Drive Community Center, the University Student Activities Center community center and the final stage of the Beardshear Hall remodeling project.

Second, the money saved by a smaller-than-expected in-crease in faculty and staff health care costs will help ease the burden of the cut.

Third, a portion of revenues from increased tuition and enrollment will be used. These funds will reduce course availability in the spring and delay other planned improvements to ISU educational programs.

Those three actions will free up $13.6 million, Tofilon said.

Two options are under consideration to collect the remaining $5 million – faculty furloughs or more internal budget cuts among departments.

Tofilon said furloughs, mandatory days off without pay, are not going to hurt students if implemented.

“The furloughs will be during the summer, or spring break or winter break,” he said.

The task force will continue to work with the administration on long-term budget priorities. Tofilon said every facet of the university was represented on the task force.

“We wanted to make sure that the options would not devastate anyone or any one part of the university,” he said.