Sophomores given temporary offer to move in

Michelle Purviance

To counteract the record number of students in temporary housing, the Department of Residence is giving a “one-time-only offer” to sophomores who want to live in Hawthorn Court.

Hawthorn originally was available only to students who graduated from high school in 1999 or earlier, according to its Terms and Conditions.

“Loosening that rule will allow sophomores an opportunity to get a spot out there,” said Kate Bruns, communication specialist for the Department of Residence.

Mary Beth Golemo, Hawthorn Court coordinator, said the eligibility rule was temporarily changed in July to allow in sophomores with no judicial or discipline records.

“Numbers in temp. housing were expected to be up, and we felt this was a good way to relax those numbers,” she said.

About 115 students still are in temporary housing, Bruns said. Students interested in Hawthorn are encouraged to visit its Community Center soon, as space in the new 70s cluster is expected to fill up fast, Golemo said.

“We like students to come over so we can show them our model apartments,” she said.

Students already settled in the residence halls may be concerned about moving in the middle of the year, but Golemo said students should look at moving to Hawthorn as an investment.

“You may have to share a two-bedroom for a month, but if someone is even thinking about living in Hawthorn next semester, those already here have first priority when new apartments open up,” she said. “Hawthorn Court offers the best of both worlds – apartment-style living with fewer restrictions than the [residence] halls have.”

Kelli Werling, senior in electrical engineering, said she likes living in Hawthorn.

“We get so much stuff provided,” she said. “There’s the furniture, washer and dryer, microwave, Ethernet and cable. It’s just really convenient and really nice, because you don’t have to worry about bringing those things like you would at other apartments.”