Workshop to give information on campus safety

Ryan Brown

The Government of the Student Body will help fund a self-defense and campus-safety workshop sponsored by the Catt Associates, the Sloss House and 33 Percent Club, a men’s organization to educate people about sexual assaults.

The Senate will allocate $217 from the Senate Discretionary Account for the purchase of advertising space in the Iowa State Daily.

The workshop will take place from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Oct. 16 in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

At the same time, a program for men, “10 things men can do to reduce violence against women,” will take place in the South Ballroom. It is being sponsored by the Sloss House and 33 Percent Club.

Information about sexual assaults will be discussed, including how the numbers and percentages affect men and the specific steps men can take to improve the climate for women, said Penny Rice, coordinator of the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center.

The 33 Percent Club was started a year ago, and it stands for the 1 in 3 women who will be sexually or violently assaulted, Rice said. The club has about 100 members, she said.

“What is really phenomenal about this organization is it was started by men,” Rice said. “This campus has a large constitute for men and women who want to work on the issue of sexual assaults.”

The self-defense and campus-safety workshop will be the first one organized for students campus wide, said Carrie Rasmussen, Catt associate.

“This is the first time we have done this,” said Rasmussen, senior in political science. “We did this because of concerns of safety on campus for women and felt there needed to be a self-defense workshop available.”

The workshop will offer assertiveness skills, discussion about rape drugs and legal advice and a representative from the Department of Public Safety demonstrating self-defense skills, Rasmussen said. Informational booths also will be set up in the Great Hall, she said.