ISU ZIP code draws National Geographic

Michelle Purviance

Friley and Helser, 50012.

The only residence halls in the nation with their own ZIP code were host to a writer from National Geographic Magazine and a freelance photographer from New York in September for a special series called “ZipUSA.”

“They wanted to find out what typical college life was like,” said Tyler Manker, freshman in construction engineering, who lived across the hall from the journalists in Helser.

But typical college life was not what they got.

The second day the reporter and photographer were in Ames was Sept. 11, when the attacks on the East Coast rocked the world.

“They wanted to cover the Iowa vs. Iowa State game that was scheduled for the 17th, but of course that didn’t happen,” said Kate Bruns, communication specialist for the Department of Residence.

Manker said he could tell it was really difficult for journalist Hillel Hoffmann and photojournalist Scott Houston to be in Ames after the terrorist attacks.

“Scott’s apartment was two blocks from the towers,” Manker said. “He was really worried about his friends and family.”

Hoffmann, a native of the Washington, D.C. area, also worried about his friends and family. But the two found comfort on the ISU campus.

“They were able to attend the candlelight vigil and rally on Central Campus,” said Steve Sullivan, communications manager for ISU News Service. “They also received a lot of support from students who knew they were from the New York and Washington areas.”

Helser Hall’s 4810 Richey hosted Hoffmann and Houston from Sept. 10 through 17 on their trip around the nation. The two visited Beverly Hills, 90210, an RV park and a Texas town with only 15 residents.

Places featured in the series were chosen because of their unique populations in one ZIP code, Bruns said.

“Helser and Friley are the only halls in the nation with their own ZIP code,” she said. “The author wanted to do a story focused on youth culture, and a residence hall would be perfect.”

Hoffman and Houston contacted the ISU News Service office early this year about coming to Iowa State, Sullivan said.

“We started working with them right away, helping them with their research,” he said. “It is very difficult getting attention for student-life issues, especially on a national level. This opportunity is wonderful.”

Hoffman and Houston could not comment about the story, because it has not been published yet, Sullivan said. Bruns said the story will be published next September or October.

Manker and his friend Joel Locke, freshman in animal science, said it was interesting to have the inquisitive journalists living across the hall.

“It was kind of neat having the two as neighbors for a week,” Manker said. “They were really nice.”

Despite the whirlwind of activity on campus in the wake of the terrorist attacks, the journalists got a taste of dorm life during their stay, said Locke, who lives in Knapp Hall.

“You’d just be sitting here playing Playstation,” he said, “and they would take your picture almost every half hour.”