Cyclone moments take over campus

Rebecca Cooper

As Homecoming Week kicks off, ISU students will be “Living the Cyclone Moment” a little bit differently this year due to rain delays and Friday’s Aerosmith concert.

But the traditional Cyclone spirit events Yell Like Hell, a pep rally, Blitz Build, the Central Campus concert, Mass Campaniling and fireworks will still be part of this year’s Homecoming celebration.

Although Homecoming week festivities began yesterday with Yell Like Hell first cuts and the painting of Victory Lane, the events actually began Oct. 7 with the Homecoming Run on Central Campus.

Co-chairs JoAnn Ford, junior in psychology, and Chris Lursen, senior in agricultural systems technology, are part of the 22-member Homecoming Central Committee. The committee has worked since November to plan activities for this year’s celebration, “Living the Cyclone Moment.”

“We haven’t added anything new, but we’ve tweaked some things around,” Ford said. “One thing we did change was that we cut the practice hours in half for Yell Like Hell and added [Lavasseur from the band Life in General] to the barbecue on Wednesday, which is our big day.”

Some of the events had to be rearranged from the traditional schedule of events, she said.

Intramural tournaments were held all last week and were originally scheduled through Tuesday, but due to rain, the tournaments will run through Thursday.

A parade traditionally is held Friday evening, but because of the Aerosmith concert, a spirit rally from Hilton Coliseum to Jack Trice will be held an hour before the game starts. It will include the band, pom squad, cheer squad, Cy squad and Barker Brigade.

The annual pep rally was moved from Friday night to Wednesday night. Wednesday afternoon will be the annual Habitat for Humanity Blitz Build in Story City and a barbecue on Central Campus. The Nadas will play a concert south of the Campanile Wednesday night, along with Mass Campaniling and fireworks.

Yell Like Hell final cuts were moved from Friday night on Central Campus to 10:30 a.m. Saturday before the Iowa State-Oklahoma State football game at the Alumni Association tailgate.

The Homecoming Central Committee will host the Miss-a-Meal program on Oct. 22, and profits will benefit United Way, Ford said.

Last year’s homecoming committee chose to intertwine its theme with the university-wide theme of Strengthening Families to Become the Best, Ford said. She said although Homecoming 2001 has an independent theme, this year’s committee is still “Challenging Students to Become Their Best.”

“We live that every day. We have to,” Ford said. “For us the last few weeks have been filled with mini-crises that we have had to solve on short notice and it has challenged us to become our best.”

Tattoos are being distributed around campus throughout the week. Homecoming buttons will be sold for $1 in a booth at the Memorial Union on Monday and Tuesday and at all the events.

“Homecoming is an all-university event that everyone is welcome to participate in,” Lursen said. “Buy your button, eat great food and participate in all the great events that are offered.”

Lursen said the committee has dedicated large amounts of time to making this year’s Homecoming the best.

“For the past two weeks, we’ve had events every day that everyone has participated in. It’s all worth it in the end, and hopefully we’ll celebrate a successful homecoming next Sunday,” Lursen said.