Geoffroy begins Investing in People

Rebecca Cooper

In line with his desire to attract students and retain top-notch staff and faculty members, President Gregory Geoffroy announced a two-year fund raising initiative, Investing in People.

The money raised in the campaign will go to undergraduate scholarships and graduate fellowships and assistantships. Money will also go to endowed faculty positions through interest earned on a principle amount that is left untouched.

“We are throwing around an official two-year campaign right now, but this will continue for the long run,” said Barb Boose, ISU Foundation communications manager. “This campaign will provide scholarships for students and endowed faculty positions and is part of an ongoing effort to get donors to donate to these very important areas.”

Geoffroy took the proposal before the development committee of the Foundation in September, Boose said. The committee sent a resolution supporting the proposal to the Foundation’s board of directors and the Foundation’s governors. It officially endorsed the initiative at meetings Sept. 27 and 28.

“Everyone was totally supportive and enthusiastic about the initiative,” Boose said. “The opportunity to help students succeed in their academic endeavors is something the volunteers and staff of the Foundation really look forward to. Everyone is 100 percent behind President Geoffroy on this initiative.”

Earl Dowling, director of student financial aid, said he supports Geoffroy’s campaign.

“It will help students, because it addresses access and opportunity, which are both fundamental land-grant pillars,” he said. “This is part of the president’s addressing of [this year’s] recent budget cuts and the ones we are anticipating. I think it’s a step in the right direction, a positive move and a great investment.”

Ben Allen, interim vice president for external affairs, said the campaign will attempt to counter the 18.5 percent tuition increase proposed by the Board of Regents Wednesday.

“I think it’s a strong statement from President Geoffroy that he understands student, faculty and university needs,” Allen said. “In these times of budget reversions and tuition increases that create a serious challenge for students and parents, a lot of people are building up too much debt – and something needs to be done.”