Coming Out Days events see change

Cavan Reagan

A drag show, movies, slam poetry and a rally are the highlights of this week’s National Coming Out Days events.

Bronwyn Beatty-Hansen, president of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance, said some of the week’s events have traditionally been included, but there have been some modifications.

“We changed the rally this year – it usually kicks off the week, but we put it on National Coming Out Day itself,” said Beatty-Hansen, junior in political science.

Other events this year include a poetry performance by Stacey Ann Chin, ally training and the return of the Sissy and Sassy drag show, which debuted last spring.

“We’ve got some speakers lined up,” said Adam Calder, LGBTAA logistics coordinator. “We’re going to . get some morale and support going for the LGBTA community.”

One event missing from this year’s line-up is the “Aqueerium,” in which several LGBTAA members were in a mock display near Parks Library.

“There was a fence around a whole bunch of people sitting inside it, doing normal, everyday activities,” Beatty-Hansen said. “The Aqueerium got a lot of negative response both from people outside the gay community and inside.”

Beatty-Hansen said she thinks the way the Aqueerium was presented confused a lot of people and fogged the point of the event.

“The point was to show the LGBT community is normal,” she said.

Calder, freshman in liberal arts and sciences, said the atmosphere at National Coming Out Days events is a very positive one.

“If anyone on this campus is still in the closet and they’re afraid to come out, it’s not scary out here,” Calder said.

He said the LGBTAA is available to support students who are having issues regarding coming out of the closet.

“That’s what we’re here for,” he said.

“I don’t have all the answers, but I’ll do whatever I can. I’ve been down that road and I know it’s hard, and you need people to support you.”

Upcoming events this week are:

Ally training, noon Wednesday in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.

Alliance general meeting,

7 p.m. Wednesday in Room 236 of the Memorial Union.

National Coming Out Day Rally and Information Tent, noon Wednesday at the Campanile.

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Student Services Open House, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday in Room 1010H of the Student Services Building.

Stacey Ann Chin’s slam poetry presentation, 8 p.m. Wednesday in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

Lesbian & Bi Women’s Health Concerns, noon Friday in Room 244/246 of the Memorial Union

“Sissy and Sassy Show 2: The Bitches are Back!”, 7:30 p.m. Friday, at the M-Shop.

For more information, contact the Alliance Office at 294-2104 or e-mail to [email protected]