ISU community talks about attacks today

Shannon Small

In an effort to bring together the ISU community and share feelings about the recent terrorist activities, a campus conversation will be held at noon today in the South Ballroom of the Memorial Union.

The campus conversation, “After September 11: Where Do We Go From Here?,” was organized so students, faculty and staff could come together and share their concerns about Tuesday’s terrorist tragedies in New York City and Washington.

“Multiple people on campus were interested in doing this,” said Pat Miller, coordinator of the lectures committee.

She said a moderator will introduce four panel members, who will make brief comments before the campus conversation begins.

Besides the selected panel members, other resource people also will be available for the discussion.

“People really need to come together and talk about this issue,” Miller said.

James McCormick, professor and chairman of the political science department, said the discussion could be beneficial for the participants.

“Hopefully people can disagree without being disagreeable,” he said.

McCormick, one of the panel members, hopes participants will “express their views and think through the meaning of the events occurred.”

Director of the International Education Services Dennis Peterson, a panel member, said he hopes that many international students will come to the event.

Peterson hopes to convey to international students that they are welcome and have a lot to contribute to the community.

“I would like to point out to people there is a very strong international community here and they are not in favor of what happened,” Peterson said.

Matt Denner, a campus activist and vice president of the ISU chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, and John Donaghy, lay minister with St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Student Center, also will be on the panel for discussion.

This campus conversation is sponsored by the Student Union Board, Government of the Student Body and the ISU Committee on Lectures.