Business, engineering weeks feature career fairs, games

Jodi Hinrichs

The highlight of the 2001 Business Week, which begins today, is the groundbreaking ceremony for the Gerdin Business Building at 9 a.m. Saturday.

“The groundbreaking is the most exciting thing to happen to the College of Business,” said Karen Terpstra, Business Week adviser. “It’s huge.”

The building will be where Osborn Cottage was. The donors, the Gerdins of Coral-ville, will be at the ceremony.

“The Gerdins are absolutely delightful,” Terpstra said. “They would like the students to be there.”

A Best Shot Golf Tournament pitting faculty against students begins at 3:30 p.m today at Veenker Golf Course.

“The faculty love the golf tournament,” Terpstra said. “They’re really looking forward to it.”

Career Day will be from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday at Hilton Coliseum. Career Day is for the Colleges of Business and Liberal Arts and Sciences students, although anyone can attend. Close to 200 companies will come, and free shuttles will run from campus to Hilton.

“I would encourage students to dress professionally, even if they are not seeking an internship or full-time job,” said Heather Johnson Huntley, career development coordinator for Business and LAS colleges and adviser for Career Day.

“Career Day will help [students] learn what employers are looking for and also learn more about the whole job-search process,” Huntley said.

A faculty and staff versus students softball game will be at 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the Emma McCarthy Lee Park in Ames.

“The faculty usually outnumber the students and still lose,” Terpstra said. “I would like to see more students at [the game].”

Events for the seventh annual Business Week include:

A kick-off luncheon. 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday in the Scheman Building.

The Best Shot Golf Tournament, 3:30 p.m. Monday at Veenker Golf Course. Registration forms available in 204 Carver Hall.

Seminars and a panel of young alumni, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday in Carver Hall.

Career Day, 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday in Hilton Coliseum.

Faculty and staff appreciation breakfast, 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Thursday on the Pearson Green.

Small-group seminars, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday in Carver Hall.

The softball game, 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the Emma McCarthy Lee Park.

A high school visit, 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Club Fest, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday in Carver Lobby.

A free barbecue for students, faculty and staff, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday on the Pearson Green.

The groundbreaking for the Gerdin Business Building, 9 a.m. Saturday.

The first College of Business tailgate, starting three hours before the Iowa State vs. Baylor game Saturday northeast of Jack Trice Stadium and the Jacobson Building.