Hawthorn council acts as voice for residents

Michelle Purviance

When Hawthorn Court residents decided they wanted to be separate from the Inter-Residence Hall Association, it meant they needed a way to express wants and concerns within their community.

The Hawthorn Court Community Council, or HCCC, was formed to do just that.

“The council is really new. They’re still shaping themselves,” said Art Alfred, community adviser for buildings 71-73. “It’s not a rules type of thing like you would see in residence halls’ government. It’s about getting the resources students want.”

Mary Beth Golemo, apartment community director, said the council is not only a voice for residents of Hawthorn Court, but the council is also a voice for the Department of Residence.

“They will often ask us for advice on what to do about certain issues,” she said. “The Department of Residence is very good at recognizing this body as the voice of the students out here.”

Fall semester Hawthorn Court residents approved the council in December 2000. It consists of one representative from each cluster, plus two at-large representatives and a Government of the Student Body representative.

Spring 2001 marked the council’s first semester of operation. HCCC tackled issues such as visitor parking, furniture selection for Phase II of Hawthorn Court and the new Community Center.

“We just got picnic tables and barbecue grills for each cluster,” Golemo said.

Dave Myers, Government of the Student Body representative to the council, said recreation is one of the next items on the list for HCCC to discuss.

“We want to get basketball courts and a sand volleyball court for our residents,” Myers said.

With Phase II of Hawthorn Court now in full swing, the completion of new apartment complexes means there is a need for further representation to the council.

“Eventually, all clusters will be represented,” Golemo said.

Elections were Tuesday in the Hawthorn Court Community Center to choose representatives for the new 30s and 50s buildings. In addition, residents voted for a representative for the 60s building, which no one ran for in the spring.

Matthew Saylor, sophomore in political science, was elected to represent the 30s. Drew Miller, senior in computer engineering, was elected to represent the 50s. Laura Hoefer, sophomore in elementary education, will represent the 60s building.

“As a rep for the 30s, I will make it my duty to protect residents from the bureaucratic nonsense that so often pervades other ISU resident housing systems,” Saylor said.