Limelight picks: Top 10 events for spring 2019

Iowa State students wait in line to see comedians Alice Wetterlund and Pete Davidson perform at ISU AfterDark on Aug. 24 in the Memorial Union. The Great Hall filled up to capacity.

Tana Gam-Ad

The weather may still be miserable outside, but that doesn’t mean you should stay inside for the rest of the semester.

From Argentine tango classes, multiple Maintenance Shop shows, The Beach Boys and various conferences, Iowa State plays host to plenty of performances and events to keep students entertained and occupied. Here are some events you should keep your eye on.

Varieties Finals — Feb. 22 and Feb. 23

First up is the long-awaited finale to the long-standing Varieties tradition, which will be taking place from Feb. 22 to 23. For those who don’t know, Varieties is Iowa State’s student talent show and an annual competition that has been taking place since 1931. This year’s finals include an array of original student acts.

Global Gala — March 27

An event that celebrates diversity and the multiple cultures here at Iowa State, the gala is One of Iowa State’s largest multicultural celebrations. Held on March 27, it will feature student organizations showcasing their cultural heritage in fun and entertaining ways. Dance will be a prominent part of this year’s program with performances from clubs and teams like the Bollywood Dance Club and the Celtic Dance Society.

ISU AfterDark — March 5 and April 5

Always a fun time, this late-night event takes place three times a semester and includes an array of free activities in where participants can win prizes and plenty of entertainment. There are two more nights left on this semester’s schedule. One on March 5 with “Queer Eye’s” Antoni Porowski and another on April 5 with actor and YouTube personality, Josh Peck. Also, nothing beats free food!

The Cyclone Voice — April 11

A sort-of singing counterpart to Varieties, this competition features the vocal talents of Iowa State. Traditionally, music personalities have been invited to host and perform at the event. Last year’s host was Skylar Grey, who is most recently known for being featured on Macklemore’s song “Glorious.” This year, the event will take place on April 11. Cyclone Voice is free and open to all.

“The Sound of Music” — March 28

On March 28, the Von Trapp family will be gracing the stage of Stephens Auditorium. A beloved classic, the performance is sure to have you singing along. Tickets start at $35 and for $32 more, you can enjoy a hassle-free dinner 90 minutes before the show.

San Francisco Symphony — March 29

One of the most innovative and critically acclaimed art institutions in the country, the San Francisco Symphony will be performing on March 29 at Stephens Auditorium. However, if you can’t wait that long for your classical music fix, our very own ISU Symphony will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of Stephens on March 2 with a performance of their own.

“Rent” — April 27

Another Stephens show, the popular Broadway musical will be put on as part of their 20th anniversary touring program. Seats to the production will start at $35 and the show will be here for one night only, April 27. Rent’s message of creativity and hope in the face of struggle is sure to resonate with many college students, so go watch to inspire your own “vie Boheme.”

Derek Hough — May 16

The Derek Hough Live! Tour will be making a stop in Ames on May 16. Emmy Award-winning dancer Hough’s first dance production will be sure to mesmerize as he takes the stage to perform multiple dance styles. From classical ballroom, ballet and tap to more modern hip-hop and contemporary dances, Hough’s moves will be worth watching at $59.50 a ticket.

TEDxIowaStateUniversity — April 16

TED is known as a popular non-profit organization for things like mind-blowing TED Talks (you know, the ones you either watch at 2 a.m. for some reason or have to watch for class). Their TEDx program does local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. TEDxISU will be hosting its second event on April 16. Here, a TED Talks video and live speakers will work to spark discussion. One of this year’s features is Bilawal Khoso, a graduate student in graphic design.

Cyclone Carnival — April 14

Iowa State’s annual spring carnival is scheduled for April 14. Full of fun activities to round out the school year, students should look forward to this event. As usual, the carnival will feature rides (like a trampoline bungee!), games and crafts, student organization booths, food vendors, a trampoline bungee and more. Performances by student organizations will run throughout the day and are totally free to watch. Is it spring yet?

For complete event schedules, check out the following:

Student Activities Center schedule

Student Union Board schedule

Iowa State Center schedule

Reiman Gardens schedule