No major crime increase after attacks

Ryan Brown

Crime has not increased dramatically in the week since the terrorist attacks on the United States, although an ISU psychology expert said copycat crimes may occur in the future.

After an attack of the magnitude of the Sept. 11 assaults on the World Trade Center towers and the Pentagon, psychologists said crime rates stay the same or increase, said Brad Bushman, associate professor of psychology.

“Violence against violence,” he said. “People imitate what they see. They see the publicity all of the perpetrators get and want the same.”

After the attack on Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., copycat attempts of the same crime were reported all over the country and in Iowa, Bushman said.

Those same kind of copycat attempts should be expected after last Tuesday’s attacks, he said.

With the possibility of copycat crimes, the Ames Police Department has not and doesn’t plan on increasing its staff, said Sgt. Mike Johns.

However, the department has been meeting with area schools, including Iowa State, to discuss safety at its institutions, he said.

Calls at the Ames Police Department have not increased over the past week, Johns said.

“We don’t have typical weeks, necessarily,” he said. “With what we do, it doesn’t come in that way.”

While humans have a strong inhibition against violent behavior, Bushman said that doesn’t always stop it from happening.

“Although we haven’t witnessed more terrorism yet, I don’t believe crime would decrease [after the attacks],” Bushman said.

Crime on campus hasn’t been a problem, said Charles Cychosz, program manager for the Department of Public Safety.

Since Tuesday, DPS has seen the typical amount of minor incidents, he said.

“We get additional calls following incidents like this,” Cychosz said. “People get unusual packages or unexpected behavior around them, and we are quick to respond to them.”

Although DPS is busier, it is not because of an increase in crime, he said.

“People are more vigilant and sensitive,” Cychosz said.

If a person feels unsafe at anytime, DPS recommends they call and report the incident, Cychosz said. DPS wants people to feel safe on campus, he said.