International students shaken

Samantha Kaufman

While the rumor mills churn and fingers point to determine the blame in Tuesday’s three terrorist attacks, ISU Palestinian and Jewish students say they are shocked and sickened by the unfolding story.

Aref Al-Farra, Jordanian student of Palestinian descent, said he was shaken by Tuesday’s attacks.

“I was like everyone else,” said Al-Farra, graduate assistant in business administration. “It was beyond description. It is something that you would never expect to happen at such a high magnitude.”

Samantha Kitover, president of the Hillel Jewish group and junior in marketing, said she is disgusted by reports of Palestinians celebrating the attacks on the United States.

“I don’t think this is anything that anyone should celebrate,” said Martin Edelson, Hillel adviser and adjunct associate professor at the Ames Laboratory. “Lives are precious. It’s a shame.”

Al-Farra said he feels Palestinians have been unfairly portrayed in the mainstream media.

“I really do not believe that this could have been a Palestinian reaction,” he said. “I feel that this [footage of Palestinians celebrating] was not shot [Tuesday]. This is not the first time that Palestinians were portrayed this way. I think it’s really bad to show isolated scenes of people celebrating.”

Al-Farra said many Palestinians feel condemned.

“We are people who suffer terrorism and we are not accepting of terrorism. A lot of Palestinian leaders condemn the attack,” he said.

Muhannad Suleiman, member of the ISU Muslim Student Association, said it’s not fair to place blame so early in the investigation.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to point fingers right now,” he said.

Suleiman, graduate student in civil and construction engineering from Jordan, said international students are as scared and shocked about the attacks as anyone – but they should not fear for their safety.

“It’s just like seeing a horror movie,” he said. “[International students] are not supposed to fear anything. That is why we came to a quiet place like Ames.”

Early reports have been questioning Palestinian rebel group involvement in the attacks, despite the lack of evidence leading Palestinians to be blamed.

“I don’t know that anyone knows precisely what’s happened yet – it may be a while before anyone does,” Edelson said. “I would hope that anyone that was responsible for this is identified,”

Kitover said no groups should be singled out for blame without evidence.

“I’m a firm believer that you can’t point fingers until you know who’s done it,” Kitover said.

Al-Farra said he does not believe in reports questioning Palestinian involvement.

“I think it’s absurd – anyone knows that we do not have the means or the resources to arrange such an attack,” he said. “In the past, none of the targets were American targets. It was only against Israelis. It’s been retaliation. I think that it’s too premature to say who is a suspect. They don’t have any actual evidence to say whether it’s this person or that person.”

Suspecting a certain ethnic group was involved in the attacks could lead to negative feelings toward those groups on campus. Reports of assaults of Arabs and Muslims after the bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City were not uncommon.

Despite this, Al-Farra said he has not felt any tension on campus in response to the attacks.

“I believe that ISU students are well-informed and mature enough to know that Palestinians and Arabs and Muslims in the U.S. and on campus are here for education,” he said. “I think so far, Iowa State students have acted very maturely. They don’t have any evil intentions.”

Sana Akili, temporary instructor of marketing in the College of Business, received an e-mail from the U.S. and Canadian Muslim Student Association Wednesday, advising Muslims to avoid discussions about Tuesday’s attack on the United States.

Akili said the e-mail was sent due to people making assumptions about guilt of the attack.

The e-mail encouraged Muslim students to stay aware, be safe, keep a low profile, report any incidents of verbal or physical abuse, exercise caution on college and university campuses, look after each other and their own welfare and support each other.

Akili said the e-mail did not frighten her, and said she has not experienced any tension on campus due to the attacks. She said she discussed the attacks with students during a marketing class Wednesday.

“From what I experienced in class, people express their views openly,” Akili said. “American students are sympathetic towards nations being accused of this.”

Al-Farra said he watched the news all day Tuesday and said he feels what happened is really sad.

“I have relatives that work in the World Trade Center,” Al-Farra said. “I was calling them all day and some I’ve heard from and some I haven’t. There are a lot of Muslims and Arabs that work in the World Trade Center . You do not kill civilians. Nothing warrants this kind of attack.

“I think that people of all beliefs should pray for peace,” Al-Farra said. “I think that’s the best thing we can do.”

Kitover said she would like to see closure to the incidents.

“I want to know who has done this,” she said. “I hope everyone says a prayer for the victims.”