Counseling Service hopes to achieve `a better balance.’

Shannon Small

Budget cuts, record enrollment and increased demand have caused some changes in personnel at the ISU Student Counseling Service, the major mental health service on campus.

Because of a 1.1 percent budget cut for the fiscal year that began July 1, Student Counseling Service eliminated one of the staff psychologist positions and changed its hours.

“It has been a challenge for all of us, but we are evaluating the essential services and making sure that they are done and done well,” said Dr. Terry Mason, director of the Student Counseling Service.

“The senior staff psychologist position was open, and we didn’t fill the position.”

One of the direct effects of the change in personnel is shorter counseling hours for students.

Dr. Michelle Clark, clinical director at Student Counseling Service, said students using the clinical services available are now receiving a more thorough initial evaluation to determine how much counseling each student receives.

“We are trying to achieve a better balance so that everybody gets something, even though it might not be as much as they want,” she said.

Students have had to wait one to four weeks to meet with a counselor after being on a waiting list, Clark said.

“Enrollment has increased, and even if the staff level would have stayed the same, there is also an increase in demand,” Clark said.

Changes in the operating hours of Student Counseling Service already were planned, Mason said, but budget cuts prompted the decision.

The hours are shorter, but another day has been added to the regular office times.

Last year, the regular counseling services were available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

This year, services are available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Mason said last year, only 18 students visited the center between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. The schedule changes were made so that those resources were moved to a part of the day when the demand is the highest.

In addition to waiting longer to meet with staff, students will be unable to take advantage of outreach programs.

The programs, which are designed to respond to general psychological and emotional issues, probably will not be available in October, November, March and April because of a high demand for counseling at the center, Clark said.

“Overall, we are offering fewer outreach programs,” she said.