Personnel issues delay selection of new dean of students

Cavan Reagan

The selection of the new dean of students has been delayed due to administrative personnel issues.

The search for a new dean of students to replace Kathy McKay, who stepped down in the summer of 2000, was expected to come to a close earlier this month. Three candidates were interviewed for the position on campus, but Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill has not yet made an announcement as to who will fill the position.

“Dr. Hill recently learned of some developments in one of the units that reports to the Dean of Students Office,” said Teresa Branch, assistant vice president for student affairs, in an e-mail response.

“He is addressing a personnel question involving this unit, and he would like to resolve this issue before making the appointment.”

Hill said he could not comment on the personnel issues, but he said the delay would not have an adverse effect on campus.

“I am not at liberty to discuss personnel matters,” Hill said. “All I can say at this time is I am addressing the issues and hope to achieve a resolution soon.”

A decision was expected to be made earlier in the month, Branch said.

“[Hill] had hoped to name the new dean before classes reconvened, but now it appears the appointment will be made before the end of September,” she said.

There are three candidates vying for the dean of students position – Peter Englin, ISU interim dean of students; Kathryn Cavins, assistant vice president for student services and student life at Western Illinois University in McComb; and Todd Holcomb, director of residence life and new student programs at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

All were on campus between July 27 and Aug. 2. Each candidate went through an interviewing process, including an open forum with the ISU community. Hill and Branch gathered feedback through evaluation sheets and a 10-person search committee.

“We have completed the on-campus interviews for the three final candidates for the Dean of Students position and have received helpful evaluations from students, faculty and staff,” Branch said.

Aside from the feedback gathered, Branch said the committee also weighed a number of other factors, including human-relations skills, management and motivation skills, conflict resolution and problem-solving skills and experience in crisis management.

Branch said the search committee looked for individuals with a minimum of eight years of experience in higher education with evidence of progressive leadership responsibility.