ISU selects new theme for year

Kara Kranzusch

Iowa State will be “Challenging Students to Become Their Best” this year.

The theme, designed to emphasize Iowa State’s focus on students, was adopted by the University Theme Committee after a selected faculty and student vote, Vice President of Student Affairs Thomas Hill said.

The phrase replaces last year’s theme of “Strengthening Families to Become The Best.”

“There are a lot of things to celebrate at ISU,” Government of the Student Body President Andy Tofilon said. “Selecting a theme lets people know what’s going on here.”

Hill said he believes Iowa State could not have selected a more appropriate theme.

“I am very excited students will be in the center,” he said. “This year activities will exclusively focus on students.”

Hill is also a co-chair for the kick-off celebration beginning Friday, Sept. 7 with a cookout for students on Central Campus. From 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., faculty, staff and student leaders will serve hamburgers, baked beans and brownies to the sound of the Cyclone Marching Band. Student-athletes will also be at the event to promote the following day’s football game against the University of Northern Iowa.

Even before festivities officially begin, students will have the opportunity to hear comedian Jake Johannsen perform at C.Y. Stephens auditorium at 8 p.m. Sept. 6.

The performance is free for all students presenting an ISU identification card.

A former graduate of Iowa State, Johannsen was voted “Best Male Stand-Up Comedian” at the 1994 American Comedy Awards and has starred in his own HBO comedy special, “This’ll Take About an Hour.” He also is a frequent guest on “The Late Show with David Letterman.”

At 6:30 p.m., prior to the performance, student leaders and Student Affairs staff will distribute Mr. Freezees and “Challenging Students to Become Their Best” T-shirts.

The theme committee is planning to fill the rest of the academic year with events, lectures and performances focused on students.

The events will include a speech by Nobel Peace Prize winner Lech Walesa on leadership and a series on music business featuring rap artist Chuck D.

Along with performances, Iowa State will celebrate the ground-breaking for the new College of Business and the opening of the remodeled Student Answer Center in Beardshear Hall.

Tofilon said he hopes this year’s activities will help remind students why they are here.

“ISU is continually giving students opportunities to better themselves,” he said, citing Iowa State’s more than 570 clubs as an example. “I am very excited this year.”