New regents already facing tough issues

Rebecca Cooper

They’ve only been in office a few months, but already the three newest members of the Board of Regents have been faced with tough tuition and budget issues at the state’s universities.

“We’re very sensitive to the institutions and constituents who contribute to public education,” said Amir Arbisser, one of the three regents who took office May 1. “We are trying to maximize public education within the state.”

Every two years, three new people are selected for a six-year term. This year Arbisser of Davenport, Mary Ellen Becker of Oskaloosa and Sue Nieland of Sioux City were chosen.

During the regent meetings, budget cuts and financial difficulties have been a major concern discussed among the members.

“My husband works in higher education, so I am very aware of the financial needs of higher education institutions,” Becker said.

“I’m interested in helping students pay for college and making sure all of our students who qualify can attend when there’s a lack of funds.”

The rookie regents are determined to find opportunity in the challenges, Nieland said.

“The regents have faced many challenges,” he said. “I feel the really difficult times are times with great opportunity to really prove something. In hard times, people are really tested to become their best. I take it very seriously, and I hope to perform the stated mission of the Board of Regents.”

Arbisser said he expects debate to be heated with the tuition issue, which will be discussed at the board’s September meeting and determined in October.

“With all the budget debates,” he said, “I’m glad it’s not an elected position.”

The three new regents already have met with President Gregory Geoffroy and student leaders, and they said they are ready to get down to work.

“The board is an attempt to assemble all types of people to look at a variety of things,” Arbisser said.

“We have all types of diversity, agendas, interests in society and people on all ends of the political spectrum on the board to give us a fair look at public education in Iowa.”

The regents do not receive a salary, but they are compensated for meeting.

The nine-member board meets at least once a month at one of the five regent institutions – Iowa State, the University of Iowa, the University of Northern Iowa, Iowa School for the Deaf and Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School.

They also meet at the regent offices in Des Moines and conduct phone conferences between the meetings.

The new regents were appointed by Gov. Tom Vilsack and approved by the state Senate in spring 2001.

Each of the Regents brings understanding of higher education to the Board.

Arbisser, a regional recruiter for Princeton University, has been involved with higher education for more than 25 years. He said he would like to make education more affordable and keep high-ability students in Iowa.

“I have had interest and involvement in education and excellence in higher education for a long time,” Arbisser said. “Public education is one of the real jewels of Iowa.”

Becker has served as director of special education at the Southern Prairie Area Education Agency in Ottumwa. She said her focus is to combine the efforts of high schools and colleges.

“I have worked in my job with children in Iowa who have needed residential living, such as that available at the Iowa School for the Deaf and the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School,” Becker said.

“I can contribute an understanding in this area to the board and am interested in how we might help K-12 education integrate with higher education.”

Nieland, an antique dealer and appraiser, said she feels her role as a parent has provided much-needed experience to perform her job.

“I am very honored to have been appointed to this position,” Nieland said.

“As a parent who helped three children through the college process, I feel that experience has helped me understand the education process.”

The Board’s strategic plan has four goals, or key result areas. According to www2.state.ia.us/regents, the regent Web site, the Board wants to be the best public education enterprise in the United States and provide access to educational, research and service opportunities within the missions of the regent universities.