Moving days

Samantha Kaufman

As the end of summer approaches, many leases are also coming to a close, leaving students to find a new place to call home.

With so many students moving at one time, it may be difficult for some to find supplies and services to help them move.

Rebecca Hilton, employee for U-Haul, 220 S. Duff Ave., said the increase in people moving has caused an influx of people wanting to rent moving trucks.

U-Haul provides different trucks for movers’ with varying needs. For example, there are trucks that can be returned to the place they were rented from, and trucks that can be returned to a U-Haul location in another city.

Hilton, senior in community health education, said many trucks from places like New York and California were supposed to be arriving in the region by certain dates, but many weren’t returned on time.

“Demand is much higher than the supply right now,” Hilton said.

Hilton said there was a waiting list of 180 people who needed moving vehicles.

“The couple of days before the first [of August], more people needed trucks than we had,” Hilton said. “Our lot was empty for a couple of days. Now people are starting to move in, so they’re starting to return trucks.”

Hilton said trucks are rented for 24-hour periods during the week, but only in five-hour periods during the weekend.

Krista Krogman, employee of Furman Property Management, 803 24th St., said more than 100 renters have moved out over the last several days.

Many of the leases Furman Property Management offers are one-year leases beginning August 1 and ending July 31.

Krogman said they pro-rate the rent, meaning renters can receive money for moving out before the last day of their lease. Also, if renters move in early, they are charged.

Krogman said they haven’t had a lot of residents asking to stay longer in their apartments, but they have had many asking to move in early.

“We got a lot of people [moved] in early,” Krogman said. “It depends on if we can get the apartment inspected and get the cleaners and the carpet cleaners in.”

Krogman said people moving out of their apartments are given a checklist of things they are expected to clean, and if the items aren’t cleaned, a cleaning company is hired to clean the apartment and the residents moving out are billed.

Justin Potts, member of Kappa Sigma and senior in finance, said having summer residents move out of his fraternity house one week before classes begin has worked well, and there hasn’t been a rush of people moving out all at once.

“Some girls have apartment leases starting August 1 and the majority of girls are moving back into sororities,” Potts said.

Scott Benter, assistant manager at Wal-Mart, 3015 Grand Ave., said the store has seen an increase in business over the last several weeks. Many different cleaning supplies assure that students will have many choices in purchases and that items won’t sell out, Benter said.

Benter said business will continue to increase next week, with more students purchasing bigger furniture, such as computer desks.

To prepare for such business, Benter said the store is offering unlimited overtime for employees.