Professor wins research award for sociology, education studies

Samantha Kaufman and Leah Eaton

The way children learn is affected by aspects of their family’s sociological and economical backgrounds, according to studies done by an ISU professor.

Sarah Lubienski, assistant professor of curriculum and instruction, was recently awarded the Thomas N. Urban Research Award for her work in studying the way children in various socioeconomic conditions learn.

Lubienski said, among the students she studied, those with a higher socioeconomic status prefer learning through problem-solving and discussion, while children with a lower socioeconomic status prefer learning through directions.

She said she has been primarily focusing on the differences among social classes and the way members of each class choose to learn.

The idea for Lubienski’s research came from working on writing problem-centered teaching material. She said some children were comfortable with the material, while others struggled.

“I saw some problems having to do with social class,” she said. “The patterns seemed to relate to that.”

Lubienski said she knew she was nominated for the award a few months ago and then several weeks ago she received an unexpected phone call telling her she had won.

The First in the Nation in Education Foundation, an education research organization based in Des Moines, will present the award to Lubienski on Oct. 18.

“Her study is a very important study and wonderfully written,” said Joann Vaske, a member of the foundation. “She will be giving a presentation on the results at the ceremony.”

The participants for the study were 23 seventh-graders in Michigan, Lubienski said. She was the students’ test-teacher for a year that tried out a new curriculum.

The study was her dissertation for her Ph.D., which turned into an article, which led to the award, she said.

There is currently a reform movement in which educators teach in ways requiring problem-solving, Lubienski said. Her study suggests that new teaching methods could create unexpected obstacles for students of lower socioeconomic statuses.

According to sociological studies, children growing up in families of lower socioeconomic status are given a lot of direction by their parents, Lubienski said, whereas children in families of higher socioeconomic statuses are asked a lot of questions. She said this appears to carry over into school and affects the way children learn.

“It raises new thoughts that had not been voiced before about how teachers might apply the standards,” said Cathy Curtis, alumni officer in education administration.

Curtis said Lubienski is looking at how teachers can change their curriculum and how they teach it so that students of lower socioeconomic statuses can learn to the best of their abilities.

“She is very passionate about what she does,” Curtis said.