Tenclinger off to Texas A&M

Leah Eaton

ISU students will be losing both a friend and an advisor when Brian Tenclinger leaves at the end of July for a position at Texas A&M University.

Tenclinger has been the assistant dean of students for Greek Affairs since January 1998. During this time he has advised 51 fraternities and sororities.

July 18 will mark his last day at Iowa State before becoming Texas A&M’s assistant director for student life.

“It is a larger system, and will present a new challenge for Brian,” said Peter Englin, dean of students. “It is hard to imagine him enjoying working somewhere else as much as he enjoyed working here, but I am sure he will have fun.”

Tenclinger’s positive energy was directed to the entire student body, Englin said.

Tenclinger worked mostly with the greek community at Iowa State and has many other fond memories as well.

“One of my proudest memories is having colleagues and students from the past walk up to me and compliment me on how much of an impact I had on the student community,” Tenclinger said. “It is just a really good feeling to hear thank you from the students you are trying to help.”

Tenclinger said he will miss the Vespers, the greek awards ceremony.

“The looks on the students’ faces throughout the ceremony showed so much pride and happiness,” he said.

Tenclinger added that his greatest memories at Iowa State were everyday interactions with students, such as talking with them at the dinner table.

Tenclinger laughed as he recalled being hung from the gallows at Lambda Chi Alpha’s Goreville Halloween haunted house.

“I have so many good memories from so many good people,” he said. “It will be hard to leave. I know for the first six months I will be comparing everything to Iowa State.”

Tenclinger is known for his dedication to the greek community, said Thomas Hill, vice president for Student Affairs.

“I am sorry to see him go,” Hill said. “He did a great job reviving the greek system. He put a lot of attention into the system and the students involved.”

Tenclinger began his time at Iowa State with a lot of ambition to give the greek system direction and to keep the students healthy.

“We are going to miss Brian,” Englin said. “He loved the students and made a huge difference here. Texas is lucky to get him.”

Tenclinger said he will miss Iowa State.

“I was so pleased to be involved with such amazing students and staff,” he said. “It will be hard to top my experience at Iowa State.”