Candidate for 3rd Ward looks forward to challenges

David Frost

Daryle Vegge, a marketing specialist for Sauer Danfoss, has tossed his hat into the ring for the Ames City Council’s 3rd Ward election in November.

Ann Campbell, representative of Ames’ 3rd Ward for 16 years, announced she would not run for re-election last week.

“I have been thinking about doing this for some time, and when I heard Ann Campbell was not going to run, it was the approximate time,” Vegge said.

He said he is excited about the possibility of representing the ISU community.

“I am not running on a specific agenda, but some of the things are having a good relationship with the university and Ames,” Vegge said.

Vegge said although he is 54 and a little older than ISU students, he enjoys the energy the students bring to the community.

“Learning about the city of Ames, how the council runs and interacting with the community are some of the challenges I am looking forward to,” he said.

Vegge said some of his qualifications are being a resident of the 3rd Ward for 24 years and holding leadership positions at work and other areas of his life.

Campbell, current representative of the 3rd Ward, said it is interesting looking at the ward as a whole.

“I look upon the 3rd Ward as part of the community,” she said. “Any vote is a vote for the whole community.”

Campbell said it is a very unique ward in the Ames community.

“The 3rd Ward is the most diverse population since it consist of a variety of housing, single families, multiple housing [and] most of the students, including a lot of the greek system,” Campbell said.

She said representing the 3rd Wardis a different situation compared to the other positions because of student issues.

“It is different in that student interests tend to be different in certain situations and I have received more calls on student issues than other council members,” Campbell said.

Campbell said anyone who serves on Ames City Council after her will have a great opportunity.

“It is a very real opportunity to make your contribution to the community while learning and I envy anyone who has the opportunity to serve on the city council,” Campbell said.

Campbell served as the representative of the 3rd Ward for 16 years.