Campbell leaving City Council after 16 years

David Frost

The Ames City Council member who represents the ISU community has decided to call it quits.

Ann Campbell, representative of Ames’ 3rd Ward, said she enjoyed her time on the council but has always said people should limit the number of terms they serve.

“I have been on the council for 16 years and it has been a very exciting experience, but I believe in turnover and I need to practice what I preach,” she said.

Council member Sharon Wirth said Campbell’s approach to issues and being able to work well with others will be missed by the council.

“She has been a good person to work with and we will miss her on the council,” Wirth said.

Herman Quirmbach, council member representing the 4th Ward, said while on the council Campbell was very hard working, intelligent, articulate and well prepared on the issues.

“Ann is someone who is very dedicated to the city of Ames. She has been involved, in many aspects, with Ames since before her days on the city council,” said Quirmbach, associate professor in economics.

Campbell said it has been interesting working with different council members over the years.

“We are six people with six different personalities,” she said. “It is interesting working with each other as well as being in the eye of the public.”

Wirth said Campbell always did her homework on the issues the council discussed.

“Her approach – in terms of looking at issues thoroughly, asking good questions and making us look at each issue – will be missed,” Wirth said.

Quirmbach said Campbell is a “model public servant” and the council will not be the same without her.

“When you lose a sixteen-year veteran, you lose a lot of institutional knowledge which is impossible to replace,” he said.

Quirmbach said as a six-year member of the council he knows it takes a while to learn the job. He said it was invaluable to have veterans share their knowledge when approaching a difficult issue with a significant history.

Campbell said one thing she especially enjoyed during her term as council member was being able to come and speak to ISU journalism students over the years.

“It has been one of the real perks of serving this role,” Campbell said. “It has given me contacts that I would not have otherwise known about and [it has] given me ideas about the students and I hope I have been responsive to the students.”

Campbell said the council has consumed her life for the last 16 years and she has no idea what the future will hold in store for her.