ISU receives National Science Foundation grant

Bridget Bailey

Students enrolled in the Information Assurance program offered by Iowa State may soon be reaping the benefits of their hard work – the benefits of a $2.6 million grant.

The National Science Foundation recently announced Iowa State is one of six universities to receive the grant, and the university has been selected as a Center of Excellence by the United States National Security Agency.

The money will be distributed as fellowships to students in six departments that take part in the Information Assurance program – computer and electrical engineering, computer science, math, management information systems, political science and industrial and manufacturing systems engineering.

Jim Davis, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering, said because the NSF awards grants late in the academic year, he only received the news recently.

“We will do a better job next year of informing students about the fellowship opportunity,” Davis said.

He said selected graduates would receive a $12,000 stipend plus room and board, tuition and books. They will also be employed full-time in the summer months and will be paid as though they were a first-year practicing professional.

Undergraduates will receive an $8,000 stipend plus room and board, tuition and books.

Between the candidates’ junior and senior year, the Office of Personnel and Management will match students with an appropriate government internship.

The OPM will work closely with each student to match interests and career goals with the internship.

Johnny Wong, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering, said the grant will allow students to concentrate on the foundational and practical experiences of their class work.

“There is a huge demand for this profession and that is why the government is willing to fund this program,” Wong said.

He said there are 20 graduate students and 20 other students enrolled in the program now and the monetary awards will be given out on a competitive basis.

A current transcript, personal statement and proof of U.S. citizenship are the requirements for application.

Wong and Davis agreed the NSF Grant gives Iowa State a large amount of national visibility.

“A lot of national attention focuses on what we do here at Iowa State,” Davis said.

“This is a huge honor for Iowa State, only six universities got this grant,” Wong said. “It proves that we are among the elite.”