Regents discuss the possibility of work-study being cut

Bridget Bailey

The decision to eliminate the college work-study program was cause for concern among the three Iowa university presidents at the Board of Regents meeting Tuesday.

Wiping out the work-study program affects approximately 4,300 college students, according to the Board office report on the meeting of the Iowa College Student Aid Commission.

The $2,750,000 program provided career-building jobs for students, Interim President Richard Seagrave said. Seagrave attended both the Tuesday and Wednesday meetings at the Scheman Building.

“I feel very saddened about the fact that the legislature has decided to do this,” he said. “It’s the only thing that really made me angry this year.”

Approximately 850 students will be affected by the decision at Iowa State, he said.

Seagrave said the main difficulty this year is that students had arranged their financial aid before the work-study program was cut.

Seagrave stressed the fact that universities need these students in order to have a quality educational facility.

“The idea was well-motivated, they were trying to figure out ways to cut money, but they bought into the idea that kids could get other jobs,” he said. “Grading chemical engineering homework and flipping burgers just isn’t the same kind of work.”

University of Iowa President Mary Sue Coleman agreed that work-study programs lead to career choices and said the students are learning important tasks in laboratories or other departments.

“When you’ve got good people coming in and doing good work for the department, it’s a win-win situation,” she said.

The Board also discussed the demolition of the current Honors Program building, Osborn Cottage. The building will be demolished to make room for the proposed new College of Business building. The estimated cost of demolition and clean-up is $10,000.

The Regents accepted Executive Director Frank Stork’s resignation, which is effective August 1.

Stork is leaving the Board of Regents after three years to accept the position of associate general council of Wellmark, Inc.

“It’s been very challenging,” Stork said. “The board covers a variety of interesting topics; one is never bored here.”

Board members also approved the merger of the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences Education and Studies, Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management, and Textiles and Clothing into a single department, the department of apparel, educational studies and hospitality management.

University of Iowa Provost Jon Whitmore agreed with the decision after looking at the names of similar departments around the country.

“Students will more accurately understand what the departments and programs are about,” Whitmore said.

The name changes will have no budgetary effects on the departments or the university.