Norman Cheville named dean of vet med

Bridget Bailey

Distinguished professor of veterinary pathology Norman Cheville has been appointed dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine.

The three-year appointment is effective immediately.

“I think we can work diligently for curriculum reform and quality teaching,” Cheville said.

“We already have very good teaching, but I’d like to implement new ways of teaching students.”

Cheville said he would like to see more online, interactive instruments to aid in instruction.

He also said one of his top priorities is the collection of information on what types of teaching formats student respond to the best.

“I want to make sure the learning experience is best for a wide array of students,” he said.

Goals Cheville would like to accomplish include updating the biosecurity system – or making sure infectious agents are segregated – at the college.

Cheville said the most challenging part of his new position will be adding on to the teaching hospital.

Former veterinary medicine Dean Richard Ross said Cheville is an exceptional choice for the position.

“He is a very strong scholar and has excellent experience as a leader and administrator in the college of veterinary medicine,” Ross said.

Ross served as the dean of veterinary medicine from 1993 until his recent appointment as the dean of agriculture in July.

He said Cheville’s five-year position as chair of the ISU veterinary pathology department and his position as interim chair of ISU biomedical sciences from 1997 to 1999 are great assets as he assumes the role of dean.

The new dean is also a leading researcher on bovine brucellosis and was instrumental in developing a vaccine for the disease.

A distinguished member of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, he has received accolades from the USDA and was selected by the National Academy of Science to investigate brucellosis transmission in bison and elk at Yellowstone.

Cheville has a 1964 doctorate from the University of Wisconsin and earned a doctorate in veterinary medicine at Iowa State in 1959.

Cheville said he would like the Vet Med College to be thought of as a well-rounded school with great strengths in the field, and education will be the key in his new reign as dean.

“Our students are our most important product,” he said.