Regents hear budget concerns from faculty

Bridget Bailey

A $15.4 million cut from Iowa State’s operating budget could likely lead to more than 100 jobs being cut.

“Interim ISU President Richard Seagrave indicated the idea that 110 unfilled positions may be eliminated due to the recent cut,” said Charles Dobbs, executive assistant to the president.

Dobbs said that the layoffs would probably pan out to cutting 60 faculty members, 30 professional and scientific staff members and 20 merit positions.

“As far as I know, the government has not signed any bills,” Dobbs said. “We haven’t made any decisions yet because we don’t know what they are going to do.”

In addition to university layoffs, the 2000-2001 student activity fee will be increased 1 percent, raising the annual cost to $56.

Activity funding provides students with discounted admission to events such as lectures, athletic events, concerts and free admission to the Lied Recreation Center.

The proposed $56 student fees for next year passed as well. Student fees include services such as heath facilities, computer access and building fees.

Regents also approved $2.2 million for the Martin C. Jischke Honors Building; $12.75 million for the Roy J. Carver Co-Lab, which will hold administrative and faculty offices and labs for Plant Science Institute employees; and $96,000 for a new 300-seat lecture hall in the College of Business.

Campus child-care programs are filled to the brim, and reports say most of the slots are filled by the children of ISU students.

Waiting lists are in effect, as Pammel Court has a list of 184 while the Vet Med center has 128 families in line.

Julia Hagen, program coordinator for ISU human resource services, said a large waiting list is not unusual for university child care.

Hagen said lists usually run from 250 to 300, and on some occasions, 500 children have been waiting for day care at the two centers.

“We would like to see at least one more center,” Hagen said. “University childcare has a standing committee that addresses the needs of students and their five-year plan is to make child care more accessible and more affordable.”

In other business, the Regents:

Approved pay matrix for staff of the Professional and Scientific Council. All grades were approved at 3 percent, while pay maximums were approved at 5 percent.

Discussed faculty workload. Average work week hours for faculty rose to 58.2 hours, up from 57 hours last year.

Allowed student-teachers the opportunity to teach in parochial schools, based on a Supreme Court decision in June 2000.