Veishea is alcohol-free without pledge

Julie Rule

Students will be celebrating Veishea without alcohol again this year.

ISU Interim President Richard Seagrave said although there is no Veishea pledge, the campus will still be alcohol-free.

“It hasn’t changed since last year,” he said.

Loras Jaeger, director of the Department of Public Safety, said he is hoping students will voluntarily follow the rule. However, DPS will have extra staff Veishea weekend, and there will also be extra officers from the Story County Sheriff’s Office and Ames Police Department.

“The chances of being observed, especially if you are underage and in possession, is much greater that weekend,” he said. “It is much greater simply because there are more officers in the area.”

Sgt. Mike Johns of the Ames Police Department said the department’s staff numbers for Veishea will be the same as in previous years.

“Basically our Veishea preparation is the same as it has been since probably ’89, as far as what we’re going to staff,” he said.

Randy Alexander, director of residence, said the residence hall policy during Veishea will be much the same as last year.

“We use the same practices we do normally,” said Virginia Arthur, associate director of residence. “If staff encounter situations that need to be confronted, then they can confront them.”

Arthur said the doors of the residence halls will be locked. The department locks the buildings during Veishea much like during a major concert or Iowa/Iowa State football game where many people are expected.

“It’s not to inconvenience the students who live there who obviously have keys, but to keep others from coming in,” she said.

The department is asking guests of residents to register during Veishea, Arthur said.

She said the department sends out information to the residents reminding them of the Veishea policies.

“I think students understand what the expectations are and will respond to those the way they need to,” Arthur said.

Alexander said he doesn’t expect any problems in the residence halls during Veishea.

“We really haven’t had any problems since the year they instituted the new policy,” he said. “People have handled it very well.”

Johns also said Ames police have not had any problems for the past several years.

“We expect to have a very quiet Veishea,” he said. “However, sometimes that doesn’t always happen. There’s no way to predict it.”

The Veishea committee has done a good job of putting on activities for people, Johns said, although he said he is wary because it is the first time in several years that there hasn’t been a Veishea pledge.

“We’re still wondering what that’s going to entail,” he said.

Jaeger said he hopes the weekend will go well.

“The last three years have been very good, and we’re all hoping that Veishea this year will be alcohol-free and a fun time for students. And if it’s a fun time for students, it’s a fun time for officers.”

Seagrave said he thinks the Veishea celebration will go on without a hitch.

“I’m pretty optimistic,” he said. “I think the leaders, Brian [Nash] and Kathy [Craig], have worked hard to put together an interesting Veishea with a lot of nifty things and entertainment. I think the general attitude of students I’ve heard makes it look like we should all have a good time, and I’m thinking there shouldn’t be any major problems.”