Save the Ales aims to save environment

Ryan Brown

Beer enthusiasts and environmental advocates came out to Save the Ales Thursday night, combining fun and education while they learned about effects of climate on beer.

The event was held at People’s Bar and Grill, 2428 Lincoln Way, and was sponsored by the ISU Student Environmental Council as part of the Earth Week celebration.

“It’s a national campaign presented by Free the Planet,” said Katie Theisen, co-president of ISU Student Environmental Council. “Climate change has lots of different affects, especially on college students – when we talk about the quality and price of beer.”

The main ingredient in beer, hops – the source of the yeast – is mainly grown in the Pacific Northwest and is directly affected by a climate change, said Theisen, senior in environmental science. She said the price of beer will skyrocket when the production of hops is slowed, because hops cannot be grown in large quantities in higher temperatures. It is a very sensitive plant, she said.

Theisen said she has spent the past week handing out fliers around campus. She said the only comment she got about the event was that it wasn’t open to all ages.

“People kind of giggle at first,” she said. “Once we explain what we are doing and how it will affect them, they are very receptive.”

Gene Takle, professor of geological and atmospheric sciences and agronomy, said the earth is gradually warming and will continue to do so over the next several decades.

“It will affect not only the mean temperature, but also extreme temperatures,” he said. “Winters will be a little more milder.”

The effects in the Midwest aren’t clear at this point, Takle said. Some indicators suggest it will greatly affect Iowa, while others say it will have a much smaller effect.

“There is mounting evidence that global warming is a reality,” he said. “Humans are partially responsible, too.”

Save the Ales was a success and a great way to bring awareness to climate-changing issues, Theisen said, particularly after past events which haven’t been as successful.

“It’s a lot easier to take ownership on an issue when it affects you, and [you] can relate to it,” she said.