Kenealy takes over for Marple as head of animal science

Wesley Griffin

The Animal Science Department is one step closer to finding a new departmental head. Richard Ross, dean of the College of Agriculture, named Michael Kenealy, university professor of animal science, the acting head of the department until a permanent one can be named.

“I was surprised and flattered that the dean had confidence and thought that I could take the helm for a couple of months,” Kenealy said. “Then reality set in, and I saw it was budget time, so there will be a lot of activity in May and June.”

Kenealy said his term will last until July 1. He said his goals are to help the department through rough financial times until a permanent head is named, and he is searching to find the best person to lead the department for the next couple of years.

Kenealy replaced Dennis Marple, professor of animal science, who stepped down as head of the department in early April.

“I think my biggest accomplishment was the planning and the completing of the addition in Kildee Hall,” Marple said. “It was a departmental accomplishment, and the new facilities are a great addition for students for teaching, research and extension.”

Marple said he has been at Iowa State for the last eight and a half years. He said he was in departmental administration four years before coming to Iowa State and a friend suggested he should not be in a position for more than 10 years.

His current emphasis is to become familiar with scientific literature and research, Marple said, and he will probably start teaching as well.

He said he is looking forward to the opportunity to get involved again.

“The department is on a good plan. They have made a lot of good changes and overhauled the curriculum a few years ago,” he said. “I would hope things would continue that way, and I don’t have a doubt that they would not.”

Marple said his work was extremely rewarding, and he was able to work with outstanding individuals as well as working with students, staff and people in livestock industries throughout the state.