Groups hope to spread awareness of sexual assault

Cavan Reagan

Rape and sexual assault may not be popular topics of conversation, but several groups still want to spread the word.

An educational presentation about rape and sexual abuse will be held tonight at 7 in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union by The Story County Sexual Assault Response Team, SART.

The presentation is primarily sponsored by SART, ACCESS, the Department of Public Safety, the Women’s Center and 33 percent, said Parker Mott, Freshman Council education committee co-chair. It is also co-sponsored by Freshman Council, the Panhellenic Council and the Interfraternity Council.

Julie Harders, coordinator of SART, said she thinks the presentation will give students a chance to learn about the issues involved in rape and sexual abuse.

“I think it will be an educational opportunity,” she said. “It’s a chance for students to . hopefully avoid being actually involved in the issue.”

The presentation will begin with the viewing of a video titled “When a Kiss is Not Just a Kiss.” Harders said the video, which features students at another university role-playing an incident of sexual assault, was just ordered by the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, so tonight’s airing will be its unveiling.

“We will then take some questions, and we hope to make it interactive, where we can address the issue associated with sexual assault or with unwanted sex,” she said.

The 33 percent Club planned and prepared for the presentation, Harders said.

“This is their brainchild,” she said. “SART and members of the team are there at the invitation of [the 33 percent Club], and we’re very glad to be there to raise awareness.”

Mott, freshman in engineering, said a Freshman Council member knew some members of the 33 percent Club and their goal of spreading awareness.

“They wanted to spread the word [and] get known on campus,” he said. “One in three women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime, which is really a pitiful number.”

Harders said April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

“This is the first event of many,” she said.

Other events sponsored by SART include the annual Take Back the Night rally and march, a mock trial and the Clothesline Project. The events will be held throughout the month.