Veishea caused police few problems

Sara Drewy and Anna Conover

Besides a few isolated incidents, police officials said the number of arrests and citations were similar this Veishea to a typical weekend.

The Department of Public Safety and Ames Police Department made a total of 98 arrests and citations over the dry weekend.

“As always alcohol was the biggest problem of the weekend,” said Sgt. Mike Johns of the Ames Police Department.

A few incidents surfaced, however.

Johns said that early Saturday, police responded to a man threatening another individual with a knife on Campus Avenue, and arrested Brian Josiah Boland, 21, 2833 West St. Apt. #7. He was charged with assault with intent to commit sexual abuse, assault displaying a dangerous weapon, going armed with intent, harassment of the first degree involving a threat to commit a felony and interference with official acts.

“It was an isolated incident,” Johns said. “There were no injuries or anything.”

A person who visited the carnival was offered marijuana by one of the workers at 1:27 a.m. Monday, according to Ames police reports.

Johns said the complaint was just a citizen, and he thought it would be appropriate for Veishea officials to consider the situation when choosing the carnival entertainment next year.

Two establishments also were cited for selling alcohol to minors Thursday during a routine check of eight to 10 establishments, Johns said. Char’s, 3110 S. Duff Ave., and Jiffy, 326 Lincoln Way, both were caught selling alcohol to minors.

“There have been criminal charges filed against the clerk,” he said. “The Alcohol Beverages Division in Ankeny will take an administrative process to take civil action against the licensee.”

Overall, the Department of Public Safety charged 33 individuals over the weekend. Four individuals were charged with driving under suspension or .02 civil violations, six were arrested for operating while intoxicated, 10 were charged with possession of alcohol under the legal age, 12 were charged with public intoxication and one was charged with possession of a controlled substance – marijuana, said DPS Director Loras Jaeger.

“These numbers are significantly lower than before Veishea was considered a dry event,” said Jerry Stewart, assistant director of DPS. “We were very appreciative of the students and the way they handled themselves.”

He said DPS was impressed by the outcome of Veishea.

“A majority of the people we saw out were sober and friendly,” Stewart said.

The Ames Police Department had a total of 65 arrests and citations over the weekend, Johns said.

“We really appreciate everyone’s efforts to make it such a success,” he said. “The students that were involved worked very hard and did a good job.”

Johns said the numbers increased slightly from last year for a variety of reasons.

“There may have been more students staying in town this year, and the weather was much better,” he said.

However, Johns said the numbers were significantly lower than in 1996, with 351 arrests and citations, and 410 in 1997.

As for next year, both of the departments will consider this year’s events to get ready for the future. Stewart said DPS constantly monitors its responses and makes adjustments and improvements as needed.

“No significant changes are expected for next year,” he said.

Johns said he thinks it is too early to make any evaluation, and the Ames Police Department will wait until around the first of January to look at what needs to change for next year.

“Overall, it went very well,” Stewart said.