Tradition in controversy

Cavan Reagan

It’s a tradition almost every incoming freshman hears about – to be true lovers at Iowa State, a couple should kiss under the Campanile at the stroke of midnight.

In recent years, however, the tradition has been altered slightly to be included during the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance’s Awareness Days.

As the Campanile struck noon Thursday, some same-sex couples and other Alliance members locked lips in hopes of spreading awareness of LGBT issues on campus by “Reverse Campaniling.”

Joshua Flees, freshman in horticulture, and his boyfriend, Adam Calder, freshman in liberal arts and sciences, were among those at the Campanile Thursday. Calder and Flees spent a few minutes hugging and taking shelter from the rain in a corner of the Campanile while the bells chimed.

This is the first time either has participated in Reverse Campaniling.

“It could have been a little bit better,” Calder said. “I’m glad we had the support we did.”

About 10 people showed up for the event.

“Could’ve been more people here, . but it’s so cold outside,” he said.

Calder also said the low turnout could also have been due to LGBT students’ inhibitions and fears of being so public about their sexuality.

“A lot of people [on campus], even if they’re out, they’re still kind of afraid of public things like this,” Calder said. “That’s what Awareness Week is supposed to do – get rid of that fear.”

Flees said he enjoyed this event and other Awareness Days activities this week. He and Calder also attended the “Broken Hearts Club” screening Monday night.

“I think it’s fun,” Flees said. “I’m not sure if everyone on campus agrees with it, but I like it.”

Flees and Calder both said they think the Awareness Days events are going well and the Alliance is having a good semester.

“The Alliance is doing really good this semester,” Calder said. “The turnout is really big every week, and we have lots of allies, not just Alliance members. It’s people that support our group, and that’s a really good thing.”

Despite a lower-than-expected number who were Reverse Campaniling this year, both Flees and Calder were happy to have had the experience.

“We come, in the cold, we kiss, and we leave,” Calder said.