Nominations collected for Veishea award

Valerie Dennis

Students can show their educators appreciation by nominating them for the Veishea faculty, staff member or teaching assistant of the year contest. The contest is sponsored by the Special Events committee for Veishea.This year’s goal is to get more people involved with the nomination process and raise awareness, said Andrea Meyer, faculty coordinator co-chair. Nomination boxes are located around campus at Parks Library, Carver Hall, Veterinary Medicine, Kildee Hall, the Memorial Union main desk, Howe Hall, the Design building and the main desks of the residence halls until 5 p.m. Thursday, March 8.Meyer, freshman in chemical engineering, said the nomination takes about a minute to fill out.”We want to keep the nomination process as simple as possible to get the most people to vote,” she said. “We just need their name and e-mail address, the nomination and a couple of sentences explaining their selection.”One faculty member from each college and one staff member and teaching assistant will be recognized at the awards ceremony held for all nominations. The recipients will receive plaques recognizing their achievements, said Tyson Stichka, faculty coordinator co-chair.”A reception will be held the Thursday of Veishea to recognize the nominees,” said Stichka, junior in electrical engineering. “And the faculty awarded will participate in a faculty cook-off at noon that day on central campus, where each person grills a hamburger for a taste test.”Stichka said the winner is chosen by a combination of people who consider the nominees and why they were nominated by the ISU community.”People should vote to recognize the great contribution the faculty make to the university,” he said. “We are really trying to honor those who help make Iowa State a great place for students.”Meyer said she also thinks it’s important for people to vote in the contest.”It’s important for faculty to be aware they are important to the community,” she said. “It keeps morale up for them to see they are important. Faculty give a lot of time, so it’s important students take a little time to nominate them as well.”Carol Fuhler, associate professor of curriculum and instruction, can personally attest to the award’s importance; she won an award last year. “I had to sit down, I was so excited,” she said. “It didn’t register at first that I won. I was new on campus and knew what the award meant — it’s a phenomenal award.”Fuhler said she encourages people to nominate and show winners their thanks.”Because I love to teach as much as I do, this award communicated to me that maybe I’m doing something right,” she said. “I think my enthusiasm comes across to students.”