Cyclones led by young guns

Jeremy Gustafson

We all know who Jamaal Tinsley and Kantrail Horton are. We’ve heard of and seen what Megan Taylor and Angie Welle can do. These are some great players on great teams.But if the men’s and women’s basketball programs want to repeat as conference tourney champs, it will be the young ones who will have to step up … whether or not they belong in Division I basketball.The Cyclone men have two “kids” that can produce big time in Shane Power and Jake Sullivan. They’ve proved time and time again in big games, Kansas for instance, that they can be team leaders even though they are only freshman.They combined for 40 points against the Jayhawks in Ames.They both have a drive to win that exceeds that of most. Each can be found on the court hours before a game, shooting and shooting and shooting. Sullivan has nearly perfected the three-point shot and has become dangerous from literally anywhere on the floor.The big knock on Sullivan is his defense. Lighten up. This guy is a starter on a conference championship team in a major conference and he is doing a great job. Remember, he is only a freshman. By the time he is a senior, he will dominate this league.Power can do it all. He can rebound, score inside and outside and is a good defender.If the ISU men are going to win in Kansas City, it will be because the freshmen pick up their game again. People are going to be all over Tinsley, and when he kicks the ball out to Power or Sullivan, watch out.The ISU women will also rely on some young guns. Sophomore Lindsey Wilson and freshman Erica Junod provide the Cyclones with what, in the future, may be the best guard tandem in the country.Junod is a scrappy player who likes to rebound more than score, even though at times she seems like she can score at will.She has a great shot and often is yelled at by head coach Bill Fennelly to “SHOOT THE BALL!”Wilson is leading the team at point guard and doing a job that many didn’t expect her to excel at.Who is Stacy Frese, anyway?That may be a little extreme, but the fact is that Wilson is aggressive and physical, the latter being something Frese was not.With Wilson driving the lane, it creates opportunities for her teammates to get open beyond the arc, and it is cash when Taylor or Tracy Gahan or Erica Haugen get an open look.When teams try to stop her from driving, Wilson simply dishes it to Welle for an easy two.Teams can pick their poison.Players like Tinsley and Welle may get all the publicity, but a little advice to anyone who wants to beat Iowa State: Watch out, the kids can play.Jeremy Gustafson is a senior in journalism and mass communication from Ogden. He is co-sports editor of the Daily.