New apartments to hold grand opening

Carrie Kreisler

Students will have yet another option in deciding where to live this fall.

Sterling University Plains Collegiate Residences, 4912 Mortensen Rd., is holding its grand opening today from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. as an opportunity to sign up for fall leases.

The event will provide tours and information about the apartments, as well as food and door prizes. Natalie Hill, property supervisor, said 60 percent of the property is already leased.

“We have a total of 544 beds, [but] less than half are still available to rent,” she said.

Apartments are available in three different layouts. There is a four bedroom, two bath for $320 a person; a four bedroom, two bath for $340 a person; and a three bedroom, three bath for $350 a person, Hill said.

These units are unfurnished but can be equipped with furniture for an additional $20 monthly charge, she said.

Each apartment comes with washer and dryer, free Ethernet in every bedroom, free CyRide bus pass and other accessories. Community amenities at Sterling University Plains include a swimming pool, hot tub, computer lab, fitness center and game room.

Hill said there are no age restrictions, and residents can either choose their own roommates or select from the roommate matching program.

Kate Bruns, communications specialist for the Department of Residence, said she does not think the opening of Sterling University apartments will affect Hawthorn Court’s residence numbers.

“I don’t think it will have much of an impact at all,” she said. “We have a lot of students interested in Hawthorn.”

Hawthorn Court apartments are in high demand because of the closeness to campus, high-speed Ethernet and the ability to pay rent on student’s university bill, Bruns said.

Seven new Hawthorn Court apartment buildings will be opening in the fall and four more in January 2002, said Mary Beth Golemo, residence hall coordinator for Hawthorn Court.

Golemo said the opening of Sterling University Plains may effect students’ decision on where to live, but she is confident in what Hawthorn has to offer. Hawthorn Court offers students what they have said they wanted, she said.

“I think it is great that there is another option, but it is up to the students to do their homework [and] to be a good consumer,” Golemo said.

Many current residents and students living in the residence halls have submitted their preference forms for the fall, she said, and right now every apartment in Hawthorn is leased, and even more students are showing interest for next year.

Hill said she does not think Hawthorn will have any effect on Sterling University’s business.

“Hawthorn Court is not comparable to our product or amenities, and therefore should not affect our occupancy,” she said.

For more information on Sterling University Plains Collegiate Residences, visit www.suhplains.com.