Ag club celebrates leadership at annual banquet

Wesley Griffin

The Farm Operations Club celebrated the development of leadership activities while building lasting relationships with students and faculty during its annual banquet Sunday.”It’s really a big event for the club; the committee starts planning for it at the beginning of the fall semester,” said club member Leann Johnson, sophomore in agronomy. “I also think it is nice that they invite your parents so that they can meet with your professors.”Farm Operations Club adviser Helen Olson, academic adviser in agricultural education and studies, said the club makes arrangements for the banquet, which is for students in agricultural studies, alumni members, parents of students and faculty and staff. “Our speaker was Wayne Humphries, a farmer and promotional speaker, whose son, Justin, is a club member,” she said. “He was a very good speaker; he told some jokes as he spoke about agriculture, which was nice because we all like to laugh.”Other activities during the banquet included the announcement of farm operations scholarships and recognition of alumni, faculty and staff, Olson said. The Outstanding Senior award was also given to two seniors chosen by a club vote, she said.Outstanding Senior awards went to seniors in agricultural studies, Andy Demuth and Eric Totemeier. Special awards were given to Angela Vetter, freshman in agricultural education; Tony Buls, sophomore in agricultural studies; Dana Morgan, senior in agricultural studies, Matt Dewey, senior in agricultural education and Demuth, Olson said.”We give a scholarship for freshmen from Roger Mitchell for $200, and that was given to Josh Trumm [freshman in agricultural studies],” Olson said. “Mitchell was an Iowa State graduate who went on to become the dean of agriculture at the University of Missouri in Columbia.”A $500 scholarship, funded by the club, was also given to an outstanding junior, Andy Scharnhorst, junior in agricultural studies, Olson said. “I think it went very well. It was a beautiful day, and a very good buffet meal,” she said. “I also think it was fun for the faculty to meet with the parents of the students.”