PFLAG reps visit LGBTAA meeting

Cavan Reagan

The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance had a small boost in attendance during its regular meeting Wednesday night.

Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays was invited to the LGBTAA meeting to inform students of its presence and services in Ames. Carolyn Cutrona, president of Ames’ PFLAG chapter, spoke to Alliance members about the organization’s purpose.

“There are about eight PFLAGs in Iowa, believe it or not, and some of them are in unexpected places,” said Cutrona, associate director of the Institute for Social and Behavioral Research. “Basically PFLAG is all about support. If somebody comes to our meeting who is either an LGBT person or a parent of an LGBT person, we put aside everything, we put aside our agenda, and if they want to talk, we listen.”

Cutrona said she has been the president of the Ames PFLAG chapter for three years. When her daughter, Gina Russell, came out, Cutrona said she was worried if she could be a good enough mother for her and was frightened for her.

“It was very scary,” she said. “Mostly it was fear that people would harm her. I had to go through a developmental process.”

Cutrona said she was pleased with the turnout at the Alliance meeting.

“I wanted to make ISU students aware of PFLAG,” she said. “I was hoping some could steer their parents toward PFLAG and that their parents could benefit, become a little more understanding, to make the world a better place for their kids. And I thought maybe some students would find it useful to hear a parent’s perspective of what it’s like to have an LGBT child . having your child come out to you.”

As part of PFLAG, Cutrona said she has been able to help a number of people.

“You never know who you’ve reached,” she said. “Sometimes people read the brochure, and it makes a difference in their life. You just never know who you’ve touched, whose life you’ve made a difference in.”

Roger Jacobson, a member of the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, also spoke at the meeting about how GLSEN can help educators become aware of the LGBT community.

“GLSEN was started by a social studies teacher in Massachusetts about 10 or 11 years ago,” said Jacobson, nontraditional student in liberal arts and sciences. “They’re very effective in getting schools to look at problems . when homophobia is allowed.”

Spectrum, Ames High School’s gay/straight alliance, was started by Jacobson and Russell and also helped create the Iowa Association of Gay/Straight Alliances.

“Maybe through our Web page or Spectrum or IAGSA . people out in the hinterland who don’t have a group can make connections,” Jacobson said. “Iowa has lots and lots of small high schools where the issue would just never come up, where kids have to remain positive.”

A recent PFLAG endeavor has been surveying religious institutions in Ames about their acceptance of members of the LGBT community, Cutrona said. Upcoming events include a hearing from a representative from the State Health Department and a professor who has studied runaway youth in the United States, which include many LGBT youth.

The Ames chapter of PFLAG meets on the second Tuesday of each month at the Collegiate Presbyterian Church, 159 N. Sheldon Ave.