Ingebritsen to speak about online classes

Brandon Babcock

Faculty will have an opportunity to bridge the technology gap today as ISU’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences master teacher workshop series continues.Tom Ingebritsen, associate professor of zoology and genetics, will hold the second of six master teacher workshops. The series focuses on showing teachers how to use technology most effectively. Master teachers were selected from the LAS college for their creative use of technology in the classroom.Ingebritsen said he will explain how to design online instructional material, author streaming media and interactive animation and use technology to emphasize key concepts in the course material.He said he will also address the methods of online testing and evaluation currently available.The program will begin at 3 p.m. today in room 1230 of the Communications Building.Ingebritsen said students in online courses have many resources at their hands.”Students can attend class when it fits their schedule, and not mine,” he said. “Since the material is always available, students also have unlimited time to review.”Project Biology Instructional Outreach, a program Ingebritsen initiated, has 10 classes completely online, two of which are outside the biology department. A total of 600 students are currently enrolled in the online courses.Included amongst those 600 are high school students and students who have already graduated.Ingebritsen said the online courses provide advanced learning for high school students who would not otherwise be able to take classes at Iowa State. “Online courses allow students to continue learning after graduation,” he said, particularly graduates in the dynamic workplace, who are always in need of further education.Lee Haugen, faculty development specialist, organized the master teacher workshop series. He encourages everyone in the teaching faculty to attend.”These workshops will give instructors the chance to find out about the way other instructors are using technology,” he said. “It is always helpful to learn from someone else’s experience.”