Cyclones look to rebound vs. Texas

Jeremy Gustafson

Bill Fennelly watched contentedly at practice yesterday as his team shot three after three after three.He never yelled. He hardly raised his voice.Then he had the team shoot half-court shots. First the freshmen, then the sophomores, followed by juniors and finally seniors.Fennelly himself even hoisted one up.Despite the Cyclones’ two-game losing streak, Fennelly was ready to get into action tonight against the No. 21 Texas.”Our focus has always been [to] be as good a team as we can be going into March.” explained Fennelly.The Cyclones have fallen two games behind conference-leading Oklahoma (No. 8) with three games left. Iowa State’s shot at repeating as Big 12 champs is all but gone.”You could count on one hand the times it ever came up about winning the Big 12,” Fennelly said.”They’ve got enough rings,” Fennelly said of his players. He added with a smile, “the only person it hurts is me because I don’t get a bonus.”Coming off a week that saw the Cyclones lose two road games, at Colorado, 73-66 and at Kansas, 69-61, the Cyclones need to re-focus as a team, said redshirt freshman Erica Junod.”We’re not playing for the passion of the game right now,” Junod said. “Yesterday at practice it was very good, we played very well and hopefully we can get that [passion] back.”Junod said she thought the way Kansas handled the Cyclone defense was a big factor in the Jayhawks’ eight point victory.”They broke down our defense,” Junod said. “We couldn’t really play much defense because we didn’t pay attention to the details.”ISU center Angie Welle said that the Big 12 title isn’t a main concern for Iowa State right now. Instead, the team needs to re-focus.”I don’t think we’re looking toward the Big 12 right now,” Welle said. “We just need to get back on track.”With tonight’s home game, televised on Fox Sports Net, Welle and the Cyclones look to get a little energy back from the fans.”Hopefully, playing at home we’re gonna get some emotion back,” Welle said.But the Longhorns will be no pushover. They have won their last three Big 12 road games, not to mention a 63-57 victory over perennial power Texas Tech.”Obviously, they are not going to be intimidated,” Junod said.Fennelly looks forward to the game as the Cyclones and the Longhorns have played some close games in the past.Last year, the Cyclones and Longhorns hooked up twice, Iowa State winning both times. Lindsey Wilson came off the bench as a freshman to score 19 and lead Iowa State past Texas in Austin, 79-66. Iowa State also won the Big 12 Tournament championship against Texas, 75-65 in Kansas City.”We’ve always had close games with Texas,” Fennelly said.While the team may not be exactly where Fennelly wants it, he said he wants to get them on the court.”I don’t know that we’re, from a strategic standpoint, as ready to play tomorrow as I’d like to be,” Fennelly explained. “But we need to play; the last memory wasn’t a good one, so we want to get out and do it again quick.”The game starts at 7:30 tonight in Hilton Coliseum.