Forum will address sustainable ag

Wesley Griffin

The future of sustainable agriculture will be discussed during the John Pesek Colloquium on Sustainable Agriculture. “The idea was to get a wider discussion of sustainable agriculture besides the ones held at Iowa State,” said Laura Miller, communications specialist for the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture. “We want to extend to the state what has been discussed at Iowa State with a lecture by John Pesek, distinguished professor of agronomy, from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Scheman Building on March 1. A secondary panel discussion will also be held at the Hotel Winneshiek in Decorah from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m on Friday. It is free and open to the public.The ISU Agronomy Graduate Student Club wanted to involve the university community, and Pesek was selected for his interaction with students.”Agriculture is the business of Iowa, and it brings food and fiber to the public,” said Lorna Michael Butler, Wallace Chairwoman for Sustainable Agriculture. “This is not just a focus on farmers, and it is not just an issue for farmers. Food is a concern for everyone. The public needs to be aware just as much as those involved in agriculture.”Pesek will speak about the history of sustainable agriculture and what has led to its problems, Miller said. He will also speak about past agriculture activities and the different groups involved, she said.”The forum involves things such as becoming more diverse in agriculture,” said Butler, professor at the agricultural experiment station. “Also becoming an agriculture that does not contribute to water quality and environmental problems, and supplying local foods to local people.”Miller said one of the colloquium’s goals is to engage people in discussion, and Pesek’s work makes him a good person to bring the discussion forward with the help of graduate students.”People need to learn how they feel about food and work to improve it.” Butler said. “This is a national and international issue, and it is something we need to invest into. Iowa, as well as other states and countries, has a lot of homework to do. We all have a lot to do to make a better planet for the next generation.”