Most Hawthorn residents are pleased

Missy Idso

While the completion of Phase Two of Hawthorn Court is months away, a recent survey found the apartment dwellers are happy with their surroundings.Michael Falk, chairman of the Hawthorn Court Community Council, said while voting for the council members on Dec. 7, residents were asked two questions, including what is good about the apartments and what the community council needed to work on.”Students are happy about living in Hawthorn Court,” he said. “We are starting to foster a sense of community out here.”Falk said the results of the survey, sponsored by the Department of Residence, showed the location of Hawthorn Court was one of the biggest advantages, with the new furnishings and the mature atmosphere close behind.”Everyone has some space of their own and can do their own thing,” he said. “And it’s a three-minute walk to campus.”Although many of the residents’ concerns were personal opinions and varied between responses, two consistent complaints were the need for more parking and more group or social activities, Falk said.”We are dealing with issues that residents are bringing to us,” he said. “For example, parking is a big one out here.”To help appease the concerns of the residents, the community council arranged for the Department of Public Safety to not ticket during the afternoon and evening hours, excluding handicapped parking, loading zones and residence department staff zones. Parking is not an issue for residents but it is for their guests, said Mary Beth Golemo, apartment community director.Despite the glowing reviews, residents also felt room and board is becoming too expensive. But Falk said residents should realize that it is going up all over campus. He said the new rate increases are consistent with inflation.”The cost will not be too high,” Falk said. “People will still be able to live here.”Students also said they felt isolated and did not get enough information while living in Hawthorn Court, he said.”Right now, all we have is a biweekly newsletter put out by the Hawthorn Court staff,” Falk said.One of the things the community council wants in the future is a Web site to keep students informed, but they currently do not have anyone to fill the duties of webmaster, he said.The council has also made an effort to increase the number of social activities offered to residents, Falk said.”We are looking to do more social events,” he said. “They are still in the formative stages.”One place where social events could be held for Hawthorn Court residents is the Community Center, which is set to open this fall with the completion of Phase Two, Golemo said.”I think the Community Center is going to be a crucial part of building community and helping residents meet others,” she said. “I wish it could have been open in Phase One.”The new center will include a food-court style dining area where students can pay with cash, a fitness center, meeting rooms and the Hawthorn Court offices, Falk said.Todd Sirotiak, of DiCarlo Construction, said the 10,000 square-foot layout will include a patio and fireplace for students to enjoy, along with a unique food preparation style.”I’m very excited for [the Community Center],” Golemo said. “It’s going to be a major part of the community out here.”