McCarney shows off 2001 recruiting class

Jordan Gizzarelli

ISU head football coach Dan McCarney held a press conference Wednesday afternoon at the Jacobson Athletic Building to introduce the 24 football recruits who will be joining his team next fall. McCarney praised his staff for their excellent work and thanked all who were in attendance for their continued support of ISU football. In attendance were boosters, athletics department staff and recruits Seneca Wallace, Beau Coleman and Jeremy Loyd.McCarney said he feels this recruiting class addresses speed, one of his team’s top needs. Headlining that group of speedsters is Fort Dodge High School senior Nik Moser. Moser is the defending ISU champion in the 200 and 400-meter hurdles and can also play a little football. Moser was the first recruit to sign with Iowa State in 2001, but does not yet have a position.”We just kind of throw him in that athlete category because we’re not quite sure where he can play. I know he’s been a quarterback,” McCarney said. “He could be a defensive back, he could be a wide receiver.”Offensively, the Cyclones inked 12 players, including five wide receivers, two quarterbacks, two running backs, two offensive linemen and one tight end. Wallace, of Sacramento City Junior College, is one of the two quarterback recruits, along with Dustin Ochs of San Bernardino Valley Junior College. Wallace was a first-team JUCO All-American last season and threw for 3,675 yards and 22 touchdowns. In addition to his throwing yards, Wallace also rushed for 550 yards and 9 touchdowns on 49 carries.Ochs was also outstanding as a JUCO player, as he threw for 2,308 yards and 15 touchdowns, completing 191-329 attempts last season. “We thought we needed to inject some talent and competition immediately at the quarterback position, and we feel like we’ve done that with Seneca and Dustin,” McCarney said. Gerrin Scott, Ochs and Wallace will all compete for the starting spot along with redshirt freshman Chris Love.Freshmen tight end Rashaad Rasberry of Missouri City, Texas is an incredible blocking tight end at 6 feet 4 inches, 230 pounds, who will certainly open some big holes, as will twin brothers Gerald and Joseph Johnson of Alief, Texas. The Johnson brothers are both listed at 6 feet 3 inches, 280 pounds, and both are projected to play offensive line for Iowa State.Lance Young, formerly of Wisconsin, is one five wide receivers that McCarney calls “one of the best groups of receivers” he has coached since coming to Iowa State.Ryan Flanagan will also line up at wide receiver. The 6-foot, 3-inch, 280-pound freshman from Houston will try out for the men’s basketball team as well.The loss of Ryan Harklau, James Reed and Reggie Hayward from the defensive line leaves a big void. Coleman and Kevin Hines will be looking to step in and replace the three graduating seniors. Coleman tallied 89 tackles, 13 sacks and four recovered fumbles last season at Southwestern College in Chula Vista, Calif.Loyd recorded 109 tackles, 12 sacks, seven interceptions (two returned for touchdowns) and seven tackles-for-loss while at Tyler Junior College in Tyler, Texas last season. He will look to step in at linebacker, as will three other recruits. B.J. Johnson of DeSoto, Texas will join Bob Elliott’s secondary along with Cedar Rapids Prairie’s T.J. Klith.Another area in which Iowa State needed help was special teams. McCarney said he feels he may have found the solution to the Cyclones’ special teams woes in Troy Blankenship, a punter and kicker from Cedar Rapids Kennedy. Blankenship was a second team all-state selection and averaged 42 yards per punt. He also connected on 16 of 19 extra points and 3 of 6 field goal tries.McCarney also announced defensive linemen Casey Shelton and Luke Van der Sanden have been moved to the offensive line and wide receiver Deandre Phillips has been moved to the secondary. In addition to those moves, linebackers Brett Kellogg and Andy Leaders have been to moved to the defensive line.Mc Carney said nearly every recruit has passed their entrance exams and met requirement standards. One scholarship remains and will be used on “the best athlete available.”