Groups recognize Eating Disorder Awareness Week at fair

Rebecca Cooper

Schools, hospitals, communities and organizations from across the country converged on the ISU campus Tuesday to recognize National Eating Disorder Awareness Week 2001 with a resource fair at the Lied Recreation Center.”I’m really excited to see so many campus organizations come together to celebrate health and human diversity,” said Paulette Stronczek, staff psychologist at ISU Student Counseling Services. To emphasize the week’s theme, “Every Body is Beautiful!,” educational booths about eating disorders, diversity, exercise, self-esteem, nutrition, body image, health and prevention were located in the lobby of the Rec from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. In addition to the educational resources, experts were also available to answer questions.Stephanie Eiesland, physical therapy aide for the ISU Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy Center, said she hopes to increase awareness of services available to students. “In being here, we just want people at ISU and in the ISU community to know that the Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy Center is here and about the services we have to offer,” said Eiesland, senior in nutritional sciences.Many of the people in attendance didn’t know about the fair, but decided to stop and look at the tables while they were at the Rec.”I was at the Rec anyway, and I was curious to see the information available, some of which most people know about but most of which is fascinating and informational,” said Hector Angus, sophomore in exercise and sport science.Attention and concern about eating disorders shouldn’t stop at the end of the week. More information is available at the Eating Disorders Awareness and Prevention, Inc. Web site, www.EDAP.org.”We would encourage the people unable to attend to talk to people at the Student Counseling Center,” said Lauri Dusselier, supervisor of prevention education and outreach for the Student Health Center. “That’s where the eating-disorder specialists are on campus, and they have the information and resources to increase awareness.”