Wilson to offer single rooms

Missy Idso

The Department of Residence and Inter-Residence Hall Association members met Thursday night to discuss the upcoming renovations of Wilson Hall in the Towers Residence Association.Starting this summer, Wilson will be carpeted and repainted for its transformation into single rooms for upperclassmen. The building will be ready in Fall 2001, said Randy Alexander, director of residence.”It’s mainly paint, carpet, new furniture, and you get the room to yourself,” he said.He also said the rates for the rooms will remain the same as a current double-as-single room.”Everything we do is funded by students,” Alexander said. “We could have charged a little bit more, but it’s a new idea so we thought we would try it to see what the response would be.”Natasha Krentz, IRHA director of academic affairs, said she thinks the transformation will have a positive effect on housing.”I think turning Wilson into singles is going to be very well-liked,” she said. “And if it is well-liked, they will do the same with Wallace [Hall] next year.”Future plans also include the tearing down of the deteriorating Storm and Knapp Halls. Storm is said to be in worse condition, Krentz said, and is to come down the summer of 2002 with Knapp following in 2004.A survey done by Brailford and Dunlavey reported 19.7 percent of seniors said a single room was their preferred housing type, while another 19.1 percent preferred two-bedroom apartments. The survey also asked juniors and sophomores the same question and around 24 percent of each class agreed with the seniors.Residents already living in Wilson will have first priority for this fall, and students living in the three other TRA halls will have second, said Kristy Stallmann, IRHA director of finance. “Housing considerations are something that students are always going to have good input for, and I think everyone is always willing to do it,” she said.Students will have different choices for layouts within the 285 spaces available, Alexander said.Wilson will also provide larger desks, primarily for a computer, and a more business-style desk chair, he said. A model room in Wilson will be offered to show the furniture and options available.Alexander said the TRA senate met with him in October to discuss the renovation. He said three-fourths of the room raised their hand when asked if they thought it would be a popular option for students.”They do an exceptional job of surveying students in the residence halls and getting student opinions on issues like this,” said Paul Duncan, IRHA president.Duncan said he thought student input was very well thought out and the Department of Residence was open minded to students ideas.”I really like the concept of single rooms with the new paint and carpet,” he said.