IRHA decides to bring newspapers to campus

Jill Pearson

The Inter-Residence Hall Association has agreed to enter negotiations to make four newspapers available to residence hall students for a four-week trial period. The group’s meeting will be at 7 p.m. tonight in the Chessman Lounge in the basement of Helser Hall.A trial delivery period will begin in two weeks and will include newspapers such as USA Today, the Chicago and Ames Tribune and the Des Moines Register. IRHA President Paul Duncan said the logistics have to be worked out before delivery can begin. “The Chicago Tribune was chosen as our regional paper based on its good coverage of agriculture and business,” he said. “Locally, we felt that the Ames Tribune was the best choice.”Only a few of the residence halls will be chosen for the trial period, said Matt Heerema, Towers Residence Association.Heerema said cost of the trial period would depend on how many students participate and how many newspapers there will be per week. Students would not have to pay more than $10 for all four newspapers and the subscription cost would be incorporated into their room and board rates, he said.Duncan said he and other IRHA members are enthusiastic about having all four newspapers available to students on a daily basis.”This is an exceptional program, and I am really excited about it,” he said.After the trial period, IRHA parliament will vote on the program based on feedback from association representatives, he said.Parliament will be presented a bill giving $2,000 to Noble House in Friley Hall tonight, said David Boike, Union Drive Association at-large. The money will be in support of their Veishea float, he said, and will be supplied by the IRHA discretionary funds and the Veishea special events budget.”It will most likely pass parliament approval,” said Steve Skutnik, IRHA vice president. “This is something that IRHA funds every year.”