Mason Ramsey to host 2019 Cyclone Voice

Mason Ramsey will host, perform and hopefully yodel a little April 11 at Cyclone Voice. 

Tanner Owens

Mason Ramsey, Walmart-yodeling internet sensation turned full-fledged country star, is moseying through Ames this April.

Skyrocketed into fame only last summer, Ramsey has since released one extended playlist and a rendition of Irving Berlin’s “White Christmas.” Ramsey will be this year’s guest host of Cyclone Voice, a student competition organized by the Student Union Board.

On April 11, Cyclone Voice participants will compete against one another in an “American Idol”-style singing competition. The show will not only showcase Iowa State students’ vocal prowess, but will also feature performances from Ramsey.

Ramsey, a 12-year-old singer hailing from Golconda, IL, took the internet by storm in March 2018 with his rendition of Hank Williams Sr.’s classic song, “Lovesick Blues.”

Sporting a crisp white shirt and neat, red bow tie in the video, Ramsey belted out the timeless tune while Walmart customers gathered around.

The video quickly amassed millions of views and shot Ramsey into a journey he never anticipated. Since the video’s posting, Ramsey has graced the stages of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival with Whethan, a popular DJ, as well as the Grand Ole Opry.

The latter venue marked a bucket list experience for Ramsey, with Ramsey saying on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” that “my dream is to play at the Grand Ole Opry.”

Cyclone Voice is an annual event held in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Previous guest hosts/judges have included country singer Lauren Alaina and pop star Skylar Grey. SUB will be accepting applications on a first-come, first-serve basis through March 27.

Once registration has either filled up or passed by the deadline, preliminary auditions will be held in the Maintenance Shop April 11. Similar to the “The Voice,” contestants aren’t allowed to sing along to a recorded track that includes pre-recorded vocals. Those auditioning can bring an accompanist, play their own instrument, or sing along to an instrumental track.

Last year’s contest ended with then-sophomore Samantha Kragel winning and Joemari Felarca taking the runner-up spot. Contestants will be judged by a panel of select judges in both the prelims and during the main event. The show is free to the public.