Underclassmen are focus of Summer Job Fair

Jana Mcbride

Underclassmen will be able to dive into the possibilities of summer positions at the Summer Job Fair 2001 sponsored by career services.More than 100 employers will be on hand from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. today in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Beverly Madden, director of Career Services, said the Summer Job Fair is different from the Business/LAS Career Fair because it is open to all majors and is geared toward younger students. Its purpose is to give underclassmen opportunities to develop workplace skills that can later be applied to internship positions, she said.”Our goal is to really help provide students with opportunities so they can make their own decisions,” Madden said.She said the various employers include those from summer camps, amusement parks, YMCAs, parks and recreation departments and resorts. “Some of these are just wonderful opportunities,” she said. Madden said students can have access to summer jobs in “super places” such as wilderness and mountain areas and the coast. She said she was particularly pleased that Walt Disney World will be having a representative at the fair. “It’s hard work down there, but it’s a very good introduction to successful business practices,” Madden said. Michele Hanlon, Human Resource Manager for Valleyfair Amusement Park in Shakopee, Minn., said students who spend a summer at the park will build lifelong friendships and communication skills by dealing with people from around the world. She said a variety of jobs were available from ride operation to marketing.”We get a lot of great employees from Iowa State,” she said. “We’ve been down there for the last 10 years and have consistently received good applicants and good employees.”Madden said students should come to the career fair with a resume in hand to make the application process easier and should be dressed in business casual attire. “What you wear to a career day is to parallel what you will wear on the job,” she said, “In a business suit, you would give a different message … it might be counterproductive.”Tables will ready for on-site interviewing, and students will receive information sheets so they can follow-up with phone calls and e-mails, Madden said. “What makes career days work at Iowa State is our students turn out in great numbers,” she said. “Employers like to come here because of the quality of the students — that Midwestern work ethic.”