Small Victories promotes tolerance

Elizabeth Roberts

Kind acts are not always recognized, but the fourth annual Small Victories Celebration will showcase some that have made positive contributions to the ISU community. The event, sponsored by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Student Services group, will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 tonight in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.Travis Greene, LGBTSS coordinator, said small victories tend to bring community together, ranging from acceptance to tolerance in the whole community. “That’s something to celebrate regardless [of orientation],” said Greene, graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies.One of the highlights of the evening, he said, will be a financial contribution, along with several awards given to individuals who have made a difference in the community.”There will be a major announcement made,” Greene said.One of the most prominent awards to be presented is the W. Houston Dougharty Ally Award. This award, named for Iowa State’s former associate dean of students, will be presented to an individual who shows commitment and support to the LGBT students.Selection for this award was based on nominations, and Ginger Olson, LGBTAA adviser, said there were many qualified people nominated.”It was not an easy selection process,” said Olson, Storms Hall director. “[But] there’s something special that’s going to happen with this award.”Another scholarship to be awarded is the Scott Rohlf Presidential Leadership Initiative Award. It will go to a junior or senior in good academic standing who is committed to improving the LGBT community on campus. Greene said the recipient is committed to change and involvement in the LGBT community. “The primary focus will be a commitment to making Iowa State a better place,” Greene said.The benefactor of this award, Scott Rohlf, graduated from Iowa State in 1977 and will be in attendance tonight, Greene said. Rohlf now lives in Orlando, he said, and has never been in attendance before.”So it’s a bit of a homecoming of sorts,” Greene said.