Ag college recognizes outstanding faculty, staff

Josh Stensrud

Faculty and staff from the College of Agriculture received awards Jan. 18 at the department’s annual spring-semester convocation. The event draws attention to outstanding performances as well as outlining new goals for the department.Wendy Wintersteen, senior associate dean for the College of Agriculture, said the event rewards faculty and staff for their efforts in the college.”It is also a chance for members of the college to come together to hear the dean’s vision and long-term strategy for the department,” she said.Lloyd Anderson, distinguished professor of animal science since 1992, received the Outstanding Achievement in Research Award for his work in reproductive physiology and endocrinology. Anderson said he was the first person to research the role the brain plays in the regulation of hormones and the way those hormones affect reproduction and growth in farm animals.”From my perspective, this is a great achievement because it is an honor that comes from your peers,” he said.Students also play a great role in the success of professors, he said.”I think you’re proudest when you see your students do well, to see their success is the greatest pleasure,” he said. “I really like to keep connected with former students because it keeps me, as a professor, engaged in a way that I enjoy.”Lee Burras, assistant professor of agronomy, received the Raymond and Mary Baker Agronomic Excellence Award, the highest award an assistant professor can attain.While he enjoys the research aspect of his job, Burras said teaching is what he loves most.”In my case, I’m pleased because my main point is teaching, which I think is the fundamental mission of this profession,” he said.Burras said his style of teaching appeals to students who enjoy being outside working on tangible experiments and things of a physical nature.”I try making my classes interactive,” he said. “Ultimately, I try to allow students to experience things with a more hands-on approach.”Diana McLaughlin received the Merit Award for Achievement and Service at the convocation and has worked for the university since 1972. During her 27 years of service at the College of Agriculture, she said her job duties as office coordinator have varied from day to day.”I think it is a great honor to be the only staff person to receive this award this year,” she said. “I work for the department chair [of economics] so I guess I do whatever comes along. University paperwork probably keeps me the busiest,” she said.As far as working with students, McLaughlin said her role has changed many times over the years.”I work mainly with grad students now,” she said. “I started out with undergrads but the only undergrads I work with now are basically walk-ups.”