Fashions offers clothes for student budgets

Julie Rule

A new store in Campustown is bringing clothing and jewelry to ISU students at discount prices.Fashions, 122 Welch Ave., opened its doors Monday afternoon, providing a selection of men’s, women’s and children’s clothing, jewelry and accessories at prices to fit students’ budgets. Shafi Hussain and Sunny Kaul, the store’s owners, said most students are paying high prices at the mall for these items. “We are selling the same kind of merchandise, but on a smaller scale,” Hussain said. “It’s the same top brand names.”Kaul said students often don’t have much money, making it difficult to afford the mall stores’ prices.”We’re targeting the student community,” she said.Hussain said the family-owned store gives students great deals on the merchandise because they have contacted the manufacturers themselves, bypassing the “middle man,” and pass the discounts on to the customers with a small profit margin for the store. “Nobody in the town can beat these prices for the students,” Hussain said. “It’s a good service for the students.”Kaul said if customers find the same item in the mall for a cheaper price, Fashions will pay the difference if they bring in a receipt.Hussain said the store has an excellent variety of clothing, including many sweaters. “We have a very, very wonderful collection of sweaters,” he said. Kaul said the store also has a snack bar with different snack items, such as burritos and fajitas, samosa; an Indian food, and coffee or pop.Hussain said he thinks students will like the new store, which will be having a grand opening for students next week after the snack bar is ready to open.”The students will be very happy if they know they can get things that their pockets can afford,” he said.Kaul said they hope to keep adding new merchandise as time goes on and students request it. “We hope to get whatever [the students] want,” she said.